Anyone know any good documentaries?

superasian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any kind! Historical, political, cultural, crime, nature -- I'm not picky. I've become sort of a night owl since my dog got surgery (6:00 a.m over here as I'm typing this, blah) and I've started picking through the documentary section of Netflix...

Appreciate any suggestions if you guys have them, thanks!

Edit: If you know any good ones that aren't available on Netflix, please don't hesitate to share anyway :)

---
Watched
Dear Zachary
Food Inc. (half-way.. need to go back)
Bowling for Columbine

Watching

Being Elmo

Last edited:
I'd say binge on the TED Talks series. They are typically relatively short. If you find the discussion interesting you can go read more about it, if you don't... you haven't lost much time :)

@Derrel: oh, awesome suggestion, thanks! that one totally slipped my mind, haha. i'll definitely watch it if i can find it somewhere!

@zombiemann: hm, I've never heard of this one before .. I see that they post on youtube, so I'll probably take a look! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Trekkies

American Movie

Both are hysterical and fun to watch.

You're welcome!

Edit..... sadly, niether appear to be in Netflix instant queue..... shouldn't stop you from watching them though. Totally worth it.

The first that come to mind: The Cove; anything by Nick Broomfield; anything by Errol Morris; The Plow That Broke The Plains; Night and Fog (Nuit et Brouillard); Harlan County, USA; The Miner's Hymns; Death for Five Voices; Into the Abyss; A Trick of Light; Tokyo-Ga; Lightning Over Water; Incident at Loch Ness; Burden of Dreams.

Helvetica, Food Inc, Farmageddon, Transcendent Man.

Those will keep you busy for a couple of hours.

The September Issue (watched this last night- loved it), Strand, War Photographer, Man On A Wire

ah, thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I'm compiling a list right now and will probably start with Man on a Wire, Hoop Dreams, Food Inc., and The Cove .. even though I'm afraid the last two will kill me, agh.

Netflix : The Pruitt-Igoe Myth

This film discuses the history, intention and failures of the development of the now demolished Pruitt Igoe public housing complex in St. Louis, MO, as well as the hopes and dreams of past tenants.

SamSpade1941 said:
Helvetica.

Objectified, and Urbanized are also both done by Gary Hustwit and feature excellent soundtracks by El Ten Eleven.

One Of my favorite documentaries is The Union which is also on Netflix.

OH! And Being Elmo was awesome. Such a feel good movie.

The Blues by Martin Scorsese

Winged Migration by Jacques Perrin & Jacques Cluzaud

Baseball and/or Jazz by Ken Burns

I was going to recommend anything by Ken Burns but I get the feelling those wouldn't be her bag. :lol: The Louis & Clark doc was awesome. Superasian- you have a good start. I've seen the movies in your initial line-up and you won't be disappointed. I'm going to keep this thread in my head for next week. I'm having surgery next Monday and will be laid up for a week.

If you're into Norwegian: Der ingen skulle tru at nokon kunne bu ("Where no one could believe anyone could live")

On the off chance that you don't understand Norwegian, I really love "Planet Earth".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back