Anyone storing images on or on CD?

Only thing that bugs me about that place is their online software auto crops to fit the picture to the page size which leads to horrible cropping most of the time. I find that they are unable to do a scale to print. Which is a simple function and yes will makes some white lines on the print but at least my pic isnt all cropped away. So now I use photobucket since their site can scale to print and/or scale to paper.
Can't crop it yourself before taking in for printing? Cropping is a piece of cake and instead of them autocropping evenly top and bottom, you can center the crop where ever you want it to be centered.

I just find this article
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

It tell you which Manufacturers(Brands) make good DVD blanks and which one make bad one. And it tell you how to identify (with software) who actually make the DVD blanks disc. For example, according to the site, Apple Disc are made by Mitsubishi or Maxell and they classified those as excellent disc.

It worth to take a look.

P.S. I always like the brand Taiyo Yuden and that is also listed as excellent disc.

Just thought I would add some info. most people don't know that when you burn a cd, the data is stored near the top (label side), not the bottom. So just because the bottom is scratched doesn't mean that the cd won't read.

But I backup all my photos and projects to an external harddrive. Western Digital 250GB for around $70 at the time. :)

Negatives, especially black and white, were never a concern to me. Even if they did deteriorate over the course of 100 years, some sort of print could be made and restored. If a file degenerates over time, can any of it be read? Will there still exist the hardware to read it?

I can personally attest to the following:
...B/W negatives stored at home will be satisfactory after thirty years
...color negatives stored at home will be completely useless after thirty years
..."regular" color slides stored at home will be completely useless after thirty years
...Kodachrome slides stored at home will be as good as new after forty years and very good after sixty years

I have no experience with professional storage facilities.

Just thought I would add some info. most people don't know that when you burn a cd, the data is stored near the top (label side), not the bottom.

I don't think that you're correct. However, a scratch on the label side can cause unreadability because the light doesn't reflect.

for 100% safety you would need an infinite number of backups.

An infinite number of monkeys in front of an infinite number of typewriters with an infinite amount of time will eventually type out all of the great books of the world.

I have a 40gb iPod that I back-up my better shots on.

An iPod is basically just an external HD with music playing software.

Works well for me, though iPods are known to be temperamental at times, mine hasn't failed me yet (touch wood)

I don't think that you're correct. However, a scratch on the label side can cause unreadability because the light doesn't reflect.

He's actually right... data is read from the bottom but the data surface is actually just under the thin protective-ish label on the other side. This is the reason why you don't write on CD's with a ball point pen.. the pressure leaves impressions on the "data-layer".

If you take your nail (ball point pen works) and press on the bottom (the side from which the laser reads), you will not see an impression left behind (assuming you don't press down with all your might). If you do it to the other side (label side), you can see an impression left behind (viewing from the bottom again). NOTE: do this with a garbage CD not a good one.. DUH.

Most reactions

Back