Anyone use rechargeable NiMh AA batteries in their grib?

schumionbike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I looke at the spefication and it look like the 8 Nimh battery would give you 9.6 volt at say 2900 Mah which is about 28 watts. I know most Nimh batteries aren't 2900 mah but.... The Nikon Enel4a is 11.1 votl at 2500 which give it 28 watt also, seem like it would be amount to the same thing. Anyone who have strong preference for one over the other? I mean the nimh batteries would be a lot cheaper for sure.

Oh, and I spelled grip wrong :) And yes, I'm comparing to the Nikon batteries but feel free to chimp if you use Canon :)

Id rather deal with the normal battery as its never let me down and its much easier to charge (just one thing)

I looke at the spefication and it look like the 8 Nimh battery would give you 9.6 volt at say 2900 Mah which is about 28 watts. I know most Nimh batteries aren't 2900 mah but.... The Nikon Enel4a is 11.1 votl at 2500 which give it 28 watt also, seem like it would be amount to the same thing. Anyone who have strong preference for one over the other? I mean the nimh batteries would be a lot cheaper for sure.

Oh, and I spelled grip wrong :) And yes, I'm comparing to the Nikon batteries but feel free to chimp if you use Canon :)

I always use the normal cannon battery as I can have two in my grip. I do how ever use rechargables in my canon 430e, pocket wizards, and my two vivitar 285s. They cost about $10 for 4 but in the long run they save you money.

I also have an adapter that lets me use 8 AA in my canon 50D. I only use that in an emergency when my 4 normal canon batteries go dead, which has never happened but you never know.

My Pentax K100D takes AA batteries. It is one of the features that sold me on the camera. Alkalines are horrible in digicams. Forget them. You either want NiCd (if you can still find them) low self discharge NiMH (such as Sanyo Eneloop) or disposable lithiums.

I have a couple sets of NiMH rechargables, and I keep a set of lithiums as a back-up. The Sanyo Eneloops are fantastic. All the benefits of NiMH without having to find them dead every time you need them.

Another nice thing about them is that when you're not using them with your camera, you can use them in other things around the house. I share mine between my camera and my transmitters for RC cars & planes.

I have to say with 4 camera batteries (two in two spare) and a battery grip I have never had a time when I needed to use the optional AA battery holder. Infact even on a long trip I would be hardpressed to find a use for it since if you can buy AAs on the road chances are you can get a hour or two to recharge a pair of regular camera batteries which will give you far more shots than the AA will.

My flash though is only used using AA rechargables (Sanyo Enloops!) and it saves a massive amount of money. One does have to get a good recharger - not those cheap 30min ones - but a proper one. Otherwise a cheap recharger will kill the life of rechargable batteries and thus leave you with far less life in them. A major problem as all those packs of regular AA batteries to use when out and about (cause yourechargablies died) really adds up quite quickly in cost

yeah, it's just that lithium seem a bit overated, or at least the one in the camera. Get some nice rechargeable AA and they seem to match the peformance of the lithium counterpart. But if you have 4 lying around, then it wouldn't matter too much.

I use the Eneloops in mine. Well actually I have several brands because I like trying them out but, the Eneloops work the best so far. Im waiting for the recharable lithiums to come out soon and, will switch over to them when that happens.

rechargeable lithium AA? I don't think they are ever coming out with that. rRCV 3 is the only thing that's similar. But, those don't really fair well compare to Nimh AA either. The only benefit with lithium is that they are lighter have much lower self discharge rate. But Joves, how long that the AA keep your D300 running for?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back