Anyone using DSLR Controller?

GrantH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked this up and will be ordering the cables shortly that are needed but wondered what everyone is using it for? I use live view for panoramics an nature shots and having this will make life a lot easier I think when doing those shots. Anyone else?

I use it, and really like it a lot.

I especially like it for microscope and macro work, but I'm getting to the point where I'll use it just about anytime I'm shooting from a tripod. Here's my typical macro setup:

Macro_With_Tablet_Setup_0233.jpg

In this shot: A Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head supports an Adorama focusing Rail which supports the Canon 5DMKII wearing a Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG IF HSM APO macro lens.

A Manfrotto Superclamp holds a Manfrotto Magic Arm to my Manfrotto 3205GN3 Tracker Tripod, and the other end of it holds a Tether Tools Wallee which holds onto my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" 32GB tablet.

The tablet is connected to the camera via USB, and the camera is controlled from the tablet using the DSLR Controller app.

Please explain the logic of leaving the grip on the camera for work like this.
I use the grip for extended battery time, more than anything else, though the convenience and control in portrait orientation is handy when I use it.

Since I go from one studio setup to another, then run out the door with it and shoot landscapes or wildlife (or any number of other things), then come back and shoot something or someone else, I just never see a need or reason to take the grip off and put it on and take it off and put it on. Since it hurts nothing to just leave it on, and helps keep me from being caught short on battery life, and requires no extra time putting it on and taking it off and putting it on and taking it off if I don't do that, it makes sense to me to just leave it on.

By the way, when shooting tethered to the tablet via the DSLR Controller app, I'm in Live View all the time so that I can see on the tablet screen what the camera sensor sees - all the time. That means that for the duration of the shoot, my camera is powered on and operating. So, if I spend an hour or two setting up, dialing in and then shooting dozens of frames for stacking purposes, it's on pretty much the whole time. THEN I may want to unplug the mini USB from the camera, remove it from the tripod, and run out the door with it.

Please explain the logic of taking it off and putting it on and taking it off and putting it on and taking it off and... You get the idea.

Last edited:
......... Since it hurts nothing to just leave it on, ..........

Head weight, for one. It's easy to overload a tripod/head combo when you get a big camera, long lens, and throw a 4-way focus rail into the recipe.

.........Please explain the logic of taking it off and putting it on and taking it off and putting it on and taking it off and...

It's the same logic as changing lenses, filters, hoods, flashes, flash modifiers, batteries..... You get the idea.

Head weight, for one. It's easy to overload a tripod/head combo when you get a big camera, long lens, and throw a 4-way focus rail into the recipe.
It's never happened to me in all the years I've been shooting big cameras with grips and long lenses on tripods with focusing rails and/or other attached gear (like lights, triggers, transmitters, etc), so I don't think I'll start worrying about it now.

Apparently, it's not as easy to overload the head as you seem to think, unless of course you're working with inferior gear that can't handle the loads you work with, which is entirely up to you. I prefer not to do that though.

.........Please explain the logic of taking it off and putting it on and taking it off and putting it on and taking it off and...

It's the same logic as changing lenses, filters, hoods, flashes, flash modifiers, batteries..... You get the idea.
No, actually I don't get the idea, nor do I see any actual logic in it.

I HAVE to change those other things you listed in order to effectively deal with different subjects and circumstances in order to get the LOOK I want for each photo. I don't HAVE to take my grip off and put it back on and take it off and put it back on to get the LOOK I want for each photo.

In fact, I see it as a waste of time and energy to take it off and put it on and take it off and put it on and take it off and put it on and take it off and put it on, over and over and over, shoot after shoot after shoot after shoot, all day long, day after day after day.

Why don't you try again? Reach even deeper into those dark recesses and see if you can find a real point to taking it off and putting it on over and over and over again.

It's never happened to me in all the years I've been shooting big cameras with grips and long lenses on tripods with focusing rails and/or other attached gear (like lights, triggers, transmitters, etc), so I don't think I'll start worrying about it now.

Apparently, it's not as easy to overload the head as you seem to think, unless of course you're working with inferior gear that can't handle the loads you work with, which is entirely up to you. I prefer not to do that though.

No, actually I don't get the idea, nor do I see any actual logic in it.

I HAVE to change those other things you listed in order to effectively deal with different subjects and circumstances in order to get the LOOK I want for each photo. I don't HAVE to take my grip off and put it back on and take it off and put it back on to get the LOOK I want for each photo.

In fact, I see it as a waste of time and energy to take it off and put it on and take it off and put it on and take it off and put it on and take it off and put it on, over and over and over, shoot after shoot after shoot after shoot, all day long, day after day after day.

Why don't you try again? Reach even deeper into those dark recesses and see if you can find a real point to taking it off and putting it on over and over and over again.

Apparently, anyone else's method besides yours can only be one thing.......... clearly, utterly and shamelessly wrong. I bow to your superiority.

You win.

Oh, and I'll have a bellows for sale. Since I can't take my grip off any more, I can't use my bellows.

I know, right?

Why would anyone buy a Canon 1DX? So stupid to have a grip you can't ever remove.

Sparky, I don't understand your problem with how somebody else likes to do things.
I mean, you asked him why, and he answered. Why are you trying to say what he is doing is wrong?

Sure, it may not make sense to you, that's cool.
You don't have to do it that way.You can do it your way.
No harm, no foul.
I don't see Buckster trying to be superior. I do see you trying to be superior.

WTF?

Apparently, anyone else's method besides yours can only be one thing.......... clearly, utterly and shamelessly wrong.
:lol: "Method", eh? Your response looks an aweful lot like butthurt to me, just FYI.

In any case, your latest claim, quoted above, is also not true.

Still, I'd love to see you make a rational defense for your advocating the constant removal and replacement of the battery grip over and over and over and over and over and over, if you think there is one, no matter how many attempts it takes you to find one. I love to learn new things, and this might just be the tip I've been missing that could really be helpful.

So far however, I'm still not seeing it as anything other than a waste of time and energy, along with unnecessarily creating a lot of opportunities to wear out contacts or plastic catches or break something off or lose it entirely out in the field because it wasn't stored well while off the camera, or something like that.

Nonetheless, I remain open to having my mind changed, if you have any reasoning that actually makes sense.

This is why I hate this forum!!!! I see sh!t on here I want and then have to find reasons why I need to have it. Wives! Ugh! Lol! That is a cool setup Buckster.
Sparky, is this something that you would use with your 40foot wonder pole? (no homo, or double entendre)

Oh, and I'll have a bellows for sale. Since I can't take my grip off any more, I can't use my bellows.
Good luck with the sale. I might be interested, but I've still got my PB-4 for my Nikon film gear and it works just fine for me. Not that I use it much these days, since I usually shoot with my digital Canon gear, but I'm good to go, either way, since I also have a bellows for the Canon gear.

That said, try not to freak out over this: Because the bellows and short lens are so lightweight, I don't have a problem with using them as shown below, still without removing the grip:

Canon_Bellows_With_Grip_0248.jpg

(I didn't bother to dig out my reversing ring and flip a lens and set up the tablet for this example shot of how to use a bellows AND a grip at the same time, but you get the idea)

BTW, even if I did think that the bellows' weight might be a problem, I could DIY a riser or support bracket in about 10 minutes to make it work.

But you should probably just sell yours, if that's what makes sense to you; None of my business, after all.

Back to the matter at hand...I would be interested to see it in action being used for something with a purpose. Seems the videos on youtube are just basic here is how it works videos.

Most reactions

Back