Anyone using newer iMac?

Sherman Banks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to switch my desktop pc out for the 27" but not sure if the quad core is worth it. It does have more video memory but not much else other than that and the chip. If you're using one, let me know how you like it.

Ps. Will be running cs4, and lr2.

While I have not used any mac product with a quad core, I have been running one in my desktop for a while now and it is a night and day difference; I would never even consider buying a new desktop system without one. This is especially true if you do anything that requires any rendering.

I have the quad cores, its awesome. I have no problems running CS4 and lr2. Its my workhorse. I got my specifically for photo editing. You shouldnt have any problems.

My PC has an AMD quad core but my Macbook Pro only has a 2.8ghz core 2 duo, and it is very capable of anything I do in CS4. Just wondering how much of an improvement it really is to have the i5 chip. I can definitely see the benefit when it comes to rendering, but the $300 for a few seconds difference seems unnecessary. Will probably do the i5 anyways so I don't have buyers remorse thinking of what could be.

I went from a 3.2ghz AMD X2 (dual core) to 3ghz Intel i7 and have noticed render times almost being cut in half (granted, the entire system was upgraded, so not solely cpu based), certainly can be more than a few seconds depending on what you are doing.

I'm looking to switch my desktop pc out for the 27" but not sure if the quad core is worth it. It does have more video memory but not much else other than that and the chip. If you're using one, let me know how you like it.

Ps. Will be running cs4, and lr2.

I can run cs4 and lr2 on my macbookpro from 2007. I have them on my 27 Imac quad core and it runs is just as well. Macs are very efficient for EVERYTHING artistic.

While I have not used photoshop extensively on a mac, I know that there are substantial differences between the imac (dual core) I used at school with premiere/final cut and my windows based desktop running a quad. I would bring home my HD files to render because the time savings could be over an hour. Again, CS4 is very broad in both programs and usage, so your benefit may be more or less substantial.

I am J, and the quad is def worth the extra...but I think it comes stock with the 27''. Either way, it's worth it.

I am J, and the quad is def worth the extra...but I think it comes stock with the 27''. Either way, it's worth it.

It does come with a 3.06ghz Core 2 duo but it's likely I'll opt for the i5 quad core. I just wanted some $ left to get other toys :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back