Anyone using the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens?

jedirunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was wondering if anyone is using this.

I'm currently using 2 lenses:
EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

I've read some reviews about the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens, and it seems like it's reviewed as a reasonable upgrade from what I'm using at the moment (EFS 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 IS). My current thoughts are that it would have less overlap with the 70-300; it is reported/reviewed to have somewhat higher quality than the 18-135, which it would replace.

For the price (I can find it new for around $650 at the moment) is it a reasonable upgrade? or is the upgrade I'd get small enough that I should skip that upgrade, and save for something better (and if so, what is that *better* thing?)

Thanks for any comments and suggestions,

Kevin

To my knowledge, the 18-135 and 15-85mm are of similar optical quality. Albeit, you pay MUCH more for the 15-85mm for some reason (probably the USM).

I personally WOULD NOT get rid of your 18-135 for this lens. The maximum aperture isn't any better, so the only real thing you are gaining is a USM.

For the money of the 15-85mm, you could get a nice 50mm prime lens. Like the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, which you'd find would be a more versatile piece to add to your collection. It will also focus better, and perform better in low light.

This is just my 2 peso's though.

To my knowledge, the 18-135 and 15-85mm are of similar optical quality. Albeit, you pay MUCH more for the 15-85mm for some reason (probably the USM).

I personally WOULD NOT get rid of your 18-135 for this lens. The maximum aperture isn't any better, so the only real thing you are gaining is a USM.

For the money of the 15-85mm, you could get a nice 50mm prime lens. Like the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, which you'd find would be a more versatile piece to add to your collection. It will also focus better, and perform better in low light.

This is just my 2 peso's though.

Thanks for the tips. I'm hesitant to jump into a prime lens because I'm stuck with this (probably noobish) notion that a fixed lens is more limiting than a zoom lens. Maybe if I tried one out around shooting various things I'd feel differently. I feel like the zoom lens is liberating in that I can keep it on the camera and shoot just about whatever I want. The 50 (on my 7D it'd be 80) ... is it really that versatile for general all-around shooting? or would I be switching lenses frequently as I move to various places (indoors/outdoors, etc.) Maybe that's not an issue as that's sorta what a gear bag is for -- to carry around the essential lenses and such.

So, what (affordable) lens would you recommend for a not-yet-novice photographer wanting to try out shooting at a high school basketball game? (assuming I stick to the end of the court)
For general around town, would you use the wide-angle on the 18-135? Or the 50?
Inside the home I suppose the wide angle on the 18 unless I'm actually trying to practice portraits, when the prime 50 would do nicely.

I dunno. I like the idea of the prime lens quality, but am scared because I like the versatility of the zoom. :)

I will second o hey tyler's reasoning.

And thanks for the seconding of those comments. :)

I'm still trying to decide (since I don't yet have enough experience to have established preferred subjects or style) on if a prime lens is right for me...

Thanks again,

Kevin

Jedi, look at the gear list in my sig.

I shoot primes pretty much exclusively. They're high quality, and they produce really sharp images.

I myself started off with a Canon T1i, the 18-55mm kit lens, and a 50mm f/1.4 prime. The prime lens almost never came off my camera after that. Granted, it's a bit long on a crop frame body INDOORS, but it is not unusable. It lets much more light in as it has the ability be shot at f/1.4.

Using a prime lens can be challenging, because you're moving around more to get the composition you want... But by the same token it's also very rewarding. It will train you to think of compositions differently, and it has a wide variety of uses.

I really think you'd get enjoyment out of a 50mm prime. It would focus INCREDIBLY fast on your 7D with the USM/HSM, large max aperture, and the 19 cross type focus points.

The other lens you looked at getting would probably leave a lot to be desired after you started shooting it. You already have a decent zoom lens, you want something that lets more light in. Trust me, bro.

Jedi, look at the gear list in my sig.

I shoot primes pretty much exclusively. They're high quality, and they produce really sharp images.

I myself started off with a Canon T1i, the 18-55mm kit lens, and a 50mm f/1.4 prime. The prime lens almost never came off my camera after that. Granted, it's a bit long on a crop frame body INDOORS, but it is not unusable. It lets much more light in as it has the ability be shot at f/1.4.

Using a prime lens can be challenging, because you're moving around more to get the composition you want... But by the same token it's also very rewarding. It will train you to think of compositions differently, and it has a wide variety of uses.

I really think you'd get enjoyment out of a 50mm prime. It would focus INCREDIBLY fast on your 7D with the USM/HSM, large max aperture, and the 19 cross type focus points.

The other lens you looked at getting would probably leave a lot to be desired after you started shooting it. You already have a decent zoom lens, you want something that lets more light in. Trust me, bro.

Thanks again for the comments. The perspective helps.

Off to search lenses again...

Kevin

If you are at one end of the court and shooting the opposite basket. You'll need your 300. The downside is if it's like the gyms my son plays in they forbid flash. So you're going to be turning the ISO way up, provided you're trying to stop the motion with a fast shudder speed.
Now bring the players back to the basket your at, and your almost doing portrait shots. With it turned down to the 70 end.
Now slap a 50 on there and with players at same end you can get some decent shots without excessive high ISO.

Now you asked so I'll say in my own case I picked up a 70-200mm L f2.8 just for the ability to shot in gyms when my son plays. Also I second the prime makes you learn to position yourself to get the shot. Whereas the zoom lets you be a little lazier

If you are at one end of the court and shooting the opposite basket. You'll need your 300. The downside is if it's like the gyms my son plays in they forbid flash. So you're going to be turning the ISO way up, provided you're trying to stop the motion with a fast shudder speed.
Now bring the players back to the basket your at, and your almost doing portrait shots. With it turned down to the 70 end.
Now slap a 50 on there and with players at same end you can get some decent shots without excessive high ISO.

Now you asked so I'll say in my own case I picked up a 70-200mm L f2.8 just for the ability to shot in gyms when my son plays. Also I second the prime makes you learn to position yourself to get the shot. Whereas the zoom lets you be a little lazier

Thanks both for your comments. Gonna go research the sigma line a bit. It's half-again more than the canon for the 50mm f1.4, so I need to see why :)
Also, I'll start looking (for future reference) about the other focal lengths in zooms (24-70 f/2.8L USM looks interesting, as well as a couple others).

Kevin

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is not a bad lens by any stretch. I've just seen that the Sigma has better corner sharpness and bokeh rendering. I have the Canon 50mm f/1.4 version and I use it all the time, even on a 5Dmark2 (where lens flaws are really obvious at high resolution) and it still performs really well... But lately the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 has stayed on my camera more.

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is not a bad lens by any stretch. I've just seen that the Sigma has better corner sharpness and bokeh rendering. I have the Canon 50mm f/1.4 version and I use it all the time, even on a 5Dmark2 (where lens flaws are really obvious at high resolution) and it still performs really well... But lately the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 has stayed on my camera more.

Excellent.

Well, I was considering a purchase soon-ish of the 15-85. Turns out I'll probably skip on that, keep my 2 current zoom lenses to cover the range and flexibility there, and maybe step into a prime lens (or eventually 2), and maybe even look at macro.

But the immediate question is answered regarding the 15-85, so that frees up my sense of wanting to buy a lens *right now*. I'll put the 50mm (canon or sigma) on my short list for when I next get a lens, and that frees up a bit of budget which I can decide on some other piece of equipment. :)

Thanks again for the insights. I really do appreciate it. It's one thing to see specs or even sample images. But hearing from people what *they* use in reality, when they use it, and how they use it, is even more helpful.

Kevin

o hey tyler said:
Oh yea? Thats good :)

What about the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8? Might be more useful than the prime lens.

o hey tyler said:
Oh yea? Thats good :)

What are you talking about? 99% of your posts are useless troll posts.

Go edit photos on your iPhone and call it boudoir photography. I'll be out operating on a higher level. :thumbup:

o hey tyler said:
What are you talking about? 99% of your posts are useless troll posts.

Go edit photos on your iPhone and call it boudoir photography. I'll be out operating on a higher level. :thumbup:

I am glad that you can see my post now, but what's up with that attitude bro? Did I say something wrong? lol
At least iPhone4s is more advance than your outdated gears :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back