Aperture 2 released today.

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all of you Aperture users out there, Apple released Aperture 2 today. There is a 30-day trial available on Apple's website. All you have to do is give them your email address, download the program, and throw a code they email you in there. I'm not sure if the trial is just for Mac users or not, but Mac OS 10.5 users will have to update to Mac OS 10.5.2 to use Aperture 2's trial.

Here are my impressions after an evening with Aperture 2:
It's better than Aperture 1.4 and 1.5 (which were the versions I used before switching to Adobe Lightroom). Aperture 2 is faster than Aperture 1.5, but it's not as fast as Lightroom from what I've seen so far. The appearance of Aperture 2 is a little different than 1.5, and to be honest, I liked 1.5's look better, it was set up a little bit better (location of tool bars, adjustment bars, etc.) But, what Aperture 2 does have over Aperture 1.5 and Adobe Lightroom is the superior integration with other Apple software and .mac. If you have a .mac account, you can now just throw your images into a web gallery in a snap, which is nice for some people. Overall, I'd say, if you have Mac OS X, give the trial at least a chance, but don't expect to be throwin' away Lightroom if you use it. And for those of you that use Aperture 1.5, I'd say upgrade to Aperture 2 if integration and speed are important to you.

Since you posted this, let me ask you a question.

I just recently bought a MAC. I have the 30 day trial of Aperture on my system.

Would you recommend Aperture or Lightroom. I am looking at these two since they are both $300.00.

I, personally, didn't like Aperture. It was not as intuitive as Lightroom. But you should try them both, as they both have free trials!

I prefer Aperture for organizing my pictures, while Lightroom I use for editing them.

I find that Lightroom allows more options, and has a better lay out (only thing is the inability to 1 button switch between original image and edit), while Lightroom is amazing for organizing and ease of use.

Try them both, pick the one that you like.

Since you posted this, let me ask you a question.

I just recently bought a MAC. I have the 30 day trial of Aperture on my system.

Would you recommend Aperture or Lightroom. I am looking at these two since they are both $300.00.

Aperture 2 is only $199.

I used Aperture 1.4 and 1.5 for about ten months, and then tried out the Lightroom trial, and found that Lightroom was easier to use for adjustments and organizing, but have also found that Aperture is better integrated with other Apple software. Lightroom works really well with PhotoShop if you use that or plan to in the future. So, if the $200 price point for Aperture 2 is important to you, then yeah, I'd give the Aperture 2 trial a go and see if you like it, but I'd try Lightroom also. Oh, and if it matters, you save $125 from Adobe if you buy Lightroom and PhotoShop CS3 at the same time.

Overall, it all comes down to whether or not you want to use Lightroom or Aperture for editing and organizing, or just organizing, and how important integration with other software is to you.

Ligthroom is better organized. Has better editing. And works better with PhotoShop.

Aperture is well-organized also. Is a competent photo editor. Works better with Apple software and .mac features. And is cheaper by $100.

I tried both recently and just found I preferred Aperture but you can get 30 free trial for and do what I did, I got both and did a comparison, what might be good for one person may not work so well for another. And you can get a CS work flow action pack add on for Aperture. I find for the minimal amount I like to edit, although I am a very amateur photographer in every way I do very little. after shooting editing. So look at both and play with them as much as you can, get a feel and see what you like better.

Most reactions

Back