Aperture RAW

mdtusz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm using aperture for all my workflow and shoot in camera RAW, but I'm curious, when I open the pictures in aperture and edit them, is that editing the RAW file or a jpg copy of it? It seems like the adjustments I make look and work out better than when I shot jpg, but that could just be in my head. If you import RAW into aperture, does it edit RAW as well?

Thanks!

Aperture does what's called "non-destructive" editing, meaning you are working on a copy of the file, not the original. However, until you are well versed in the software, you should always keep backups.

I'm using aperture for all my workflow and shoot in camera RAW, but I'm curious, when I open the pictures in aperture and edit them, is that editing the RAW file or a jpg copy of it? It seems like the adjustments I make look and work out better than when I shot jpg, but that could just be in my head. If you import RAW into aperture, does it edit RAW as well?

Thanks!

Yes, if i read your question correctly. You are editing the RAW file (pretty sure a duplicate exists for backup). When your done editing and export it to your pictures folder it makes it a JPG. One way to tell the difference is when your editing if the white balance adjustments show that your adjusting the actual kelvin muesurement (will say 6000k or something)or if the WB adjustment just says + or -.

As BKMOOD says, Aperture uses non-destructive editing. In Aperture speak, these are "Versions".

When you apply an affect or adjustment in Aperture, it creates another "version" of the RAW file in the Aperture library. For example, perform a crop on a RAW image and watch Aperture process it. Now go into the Adjustments window and uncheck the Crop checkbox. You'll see the crop revert back to the "Version" without the crop.

Sh!t i was talking about lightroom, pretty sure there similar thou

Perfect. I was fiddling between two images (one I know was RAW and the other jpg) and actually noticed the differences. Thank god for software designers. It's nice to see the before and after products sometimes haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back