Apple rip-off alert

I see my problem has reached some of the consumer websites and can be reached via Digg.com.

As for the experience...on all the mac's I frequently use (G5 Pro, 2x quad core intel, 4xminis) they crash easily as frequently as PCs, not to mention how much I dislike the interface. I will deny this 'fact'.

I am using one Linux PC (24hours of operation each day, 7 days a week), a Windows XP Thinkpad (about 9 hours per day, 5 days a week) and a self assembled Windows XP PC (on average 2 or 3 hrs a day, 7 days a week).

The Linux PC never crashed in the last 3 years, the Thinkpad crashed once, and the WinXP PC also crashed once during the last year.

This is why I will stay with Linux and XP, and not switch to MacOS or Vista soon ;)

To Apple's credit, they read about my problem and took steps to fix it. I had my Macbook via FedEx this morning and a complimentary copy of Aperture too. Wow! I've just got my Macbook running and after trying it out with a game of chess, this is the second thing I've done on it.

Could be worse... at least you didnt buy one of those HD DVD Players and a stack of now obsolete movies. Betamax II! :lmao:

I did that! I don't mind though, I got 12 free movies with it, and paid $180...I feel with all that added value, it's worth the extra as an upconverting player

I am using one Linux PC (24hours of operation each day, 7 days a week), a Windows XP Thinkpad (about 9 hours per day, 5 days a week) and a self assembled Windows XP PC (on average 2 or 3 hrs a day, 7 days a week).

The Linux PC never crashed in the last 3 years, the Thinkpad crashed once, and the WinXP PC also crashed once during the last year.

This is why I will stay with Linux and XP, and not switch to MacOS or Vista soon ;)

Once it got out of it's oopsie infancy, I have had very few problems with Vista, and some of the new features are so useful to me, I've put it on all 3 of my computers... Then again, if you don't like it, Windows 7 is slated to release in 2010

(edit: it may look like I'm a Microsoft fanboy... far from true. I do think Windows is the best OS out there right now, but I am also quick to point out its faults, which are many. Yes Linux is rock solid and incredibly customizable, but it's just so damn hard to adapt to. Yes MacOS is pretty and fairly stable, but for a power user, the GUI is very restrictive, and I've had to resort to console on many occasions. Windows is the most universal os, and has 80% of the benefits of Linux and 80% of the ease of use of Mac)

To Apple's credit, they read about my problem and took steps to fix it. I had my Macbook via FedEx this morning and a complimentary copy of Aperture too. Wow! I've just got my Macbook running and after trying it out with a game of chess, this is the second thing I've done on it.

Thats good form. See, Apple does take care of its customers to the best of its ability considering its a global company. Sometimes things just take some time to get the wheels rolling. And a FREE copy of Aperture??? Dude, you just got 300 dollars for your inconvenience. I hope your opinion of Apple has changed! Congrats

So, Rhys, does Apple still suck?

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff Apple does, they might give you a bit of trouble, but they almost always come through in the end for their customers.

So, Rhys, does Apple still suck?

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff Apple does, they might give you a bit of trouble, but they almost always come through in the end for their customers.

Well, I'm trying to get used to OSX. Installing software is a little quirky but not too bad. Getting the programs docked is something I need to learn how to do. I also need to learn how to create new tabs in Safari and how to flip between applications.

All right, I'll see if I can help you out a bit...

OSX, well, you need to use it to get used to it, but once you're used to it, that's it. You'll pick up little things as you go, and Apple.com usually has Hot Tips in the Software section of their site every week, usually really useful stuff.

Installing software is a bit different than Windows, but you'll find that all programs will install pretty much the same way.

Programs docked...just hit the command key and the space bar to bring up Spotlight search in the top right, just start typing the program name, and then click on it to open it and then when it's open, just alt-click on the icon and there's an option for it to remain on the dock. And if you decide you don't want it there, just drag it off the dock to the desktop and it'll just disappear and then you can always just put it back up later. And if you want to uninstall programs (way easier than Windows), just drag the icon to the Trash can. And there's a program called AppDelete you can download for free online that is the same idea as Trash, but it deletes any program you installed to use the one you just deleted (Bridge with PhotoShop CS3 for example).

Tabs in Safari...go to Safari's preferences and there's a place in General to enable tabbed browsing, and then once it's enabled, the key combination command-T will give you new tabs.

Flipping between applications? Well, you can use Exposé like I do, which I assigned in System Preferences to F12 which allows me to view all of the windows that are up and I just click the one I want to see at the front of them all. Or you can use Spaces like I used to (assuming you have OS 10.5) which you can then assign a key in System Preferences to switch between your Spaces. I had Internet Space, iTunes Space, Photo Space, iChat Space, Word Space, Misc. Space, Mail Space, etc. That was pretty good, but it just wasn't working into my workflow for stuff. Hope that helped.

Anything else you'd like to know?

I'll try and think of some hot tips for you.

All right, I'll see if I can help you out a bit...

OSX, well, you need to use it to get used to it, but once you're used to it, that's it. You'll pick up little things as you go, and Apple.com usually has Hot Tips in the Software section of their site every week, usually really useful stuff.

Installing software is a bit different than Windows, but you'll find that all programs will install pretty much the same way.

Programs docked...just hit the command key and the space bar to bring up Spotlight search in the top right, just start typing the program name, and then click on it to open it and then when it's open, just alt-click on the icon and there's an option for it to remain on the dock. And if you decide you don't want it there, just drag it off the dock to the desktop and it'll just disappear and then you can always just put it back up later. And if you want to uninstall programs (way easier than Windows), just drag the icon to the Trash can. And there's a program called AppDelete you can download for free online that is the same idea as Trash, but it deletes any program you installed to use the one you just deleted (Bridge with PhotoShop CS3 for example).

Tabs in Safari...go to Safari's preferences and there's a place in General to enable tabbed browsing, and then once it's enabled, the key combination command-T will give you new tabs.

Flipping between applications? Well, you can use Exposé like I do, which I assigned in System Preferences to F12 which allows me to view all of the windows that are up and I just click the one I want to see at the front of them all. Or you can use Spaces like I used to (assuming you have OS 10.5) which you can then assign a key in System Preferences to switch between your Spaces. I had Internet Space, iTunes Space, Photo Space, iChat Space, Word Space, Misc. Space, Mail Space, etc. That was pretty good, but it just wasn't working into my workflow for stuff. Hope that helped.

Anything else you'd like to know?

I'll try and think of some hot tips for you.

Well, thus far I have installed OpenOffice, Canon's DPP, Image Browser and Camera Window, Photo Studio, Aperture, Yahoo, ICQ and MSN Messengers.

It bugs me that the bumps on the keyboard are in the wrong place. Seriously. Why would anyone think to put them on the D and the K?

I've been using a Gateway laptop that I bought four years ago while I was in grad school. Very few problems. I don't buy this whole Apple vs PC garbage. Use what you like. Personally, I won't use a product that puts the bumps on the wrong keys. ;)

Most reactions

Back