Apple vs. Windows

Buy a MAC! I have been a Mac addict since 1995, and have 3 of them, plus 2 Windows machines. The Windows computers (which I only use if I have to) are always in strife with some net-related problem, usually virus etc. Macs just don't have the problems. Twice I have needed help and the problems have been sorted same day, and I am in regional Australia. Macs cost more, and so does the software, but it is worth every cent. The only problem is freeware, and shareware, which are less available, but when it comes to using the "real " software eg Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc they just sail away from Windows. I will get off my soapbox now ( I don't work for Mac-honestly) ..... John

I build PC's on the side and know that for the money you will pay for a new Mac you can get a PC with twice the processing power and four times the compatability. Don't get me wrong, I like Macs but I will never pay more for something that is less.

Digital Matt said:
I'll show you three pcs that cost the same combined as one G5.

ok, no problem to combine three pcs that cost the same as one G5, but no pcs with 2 64 bit 2,5 GHz processors, 1.25GHz frontside bus, ultrafast 400MHz 128-bit memory, three open full-length PCI-X slots: one 133MHz, 64-bit slot and two 100MHz, 64-bit slots and finally no Mac OS X version 10.3 "Panther".

I mean you can combine pcs together but that ain't the same (for maya rendering maybe), but is there any option, that allows Photoshop to use multiple pcs?

Dual 3.6Ghz Pentium Xeon processors with 64 bit technology.

All the technology is the same it is just that Mac charges 10 grand for something worth 3. Not to mention that PC's are easily upgradable by anyone who can read instructions. Is that true of a G5?

You are right about the OS if you are the type to let your computer go without cleanups, defragments, and virus scans.

Don't know nothing about the 3.6 Dual Xeon, maybe you're right but what I do know is, that the G5 is 69% faster than the Dual 3.2 Xeon, but maybe it ain't 64 bit.

I've had a couple pcs and I gotta admit, I HATE Windows. Ain't got problems with hardware and all (Linux or Free BSD is fine) but no Windows. Apples offer ease of use, innovation reliability (and trust me, I'm not that guy who has problems changing a wallpaper or something like that :)).

One thing to look out for before taking the plunge is the software you plan to use.

As mentioned before, compatibility is always an issue when moving to MAC. But also check out the photo editing software you like. Make sure it's all available for MAC as well. That includes proprietary software, (such as Nikon and Canon's), that you'll definitely need for certain RAW formats - such as Nikon and Canon.

MACs are now pretty much PC's with Unix on them, so it's about as hard as ever to get software for them. As far as image editing these days - and especially if you're not a computer nerd - I really don't think you're gonna see MACs being much faster. Or user-friendly for that matter.

Just my oppinion.

Galaxy_Stranger said:
As far as image editing these days - and especially if you're not a computer nerd - I really don't think you're gonna see MACs being much faster.

I agree. The average user wouldn't notice a huge performance difference if they are not using a slow cheap computer. It doesn't take the latest PC or Mac processor to run Photoshop or any other common used programs. You don't need a G5 Mac in order to word process or surf the internet and unless you are working with very large photo files or multiple files at once you really don't need the fastest computer. Santino you can state all the performance stats all you want but what it comes down to is if it works for the user than why change or pay more?

Also when it comes to technology there's always going to be improvements on both sides. One day PCs might be faster and then Mac will introduce something faster....and vice versa.

santino said:
I've had a couple pcs and I gotta admit, I HATE Windows.
Now that you've finally said it let's all get on with our lives. Like I said that's a big reason why some people make the switch. Obviously not everyone feels the same because there would be more Mac users regardless of the price. I wouldn't stay with something I hated either.

I always find these PC vs Mac debates humorous considering I'm pretty neutral about it all. I like my XP machine but I also like my Mac computer, but if I wasn't forced to buy a Mac for my career I personally couldn't justify the extra cost of Macs. Actually if you want to know the truth I don't like Microsoft all the much but I don't let my emotions be the judge in my decision. Santino, it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to Windows but as I've said before I've only had 3 crashes since getting XP and only 2 viruses in my lifetime of using Windows because I practice safe internet usage. It's performed well with just about every program I've used.

I'm sorry that you didn't have the same experience, but these discussions are so subjective because it would seem that Windows didn't work for you but it sounds like a lot people don't have the same problem. Both sides have their good and bad points but it's up to the user to see which ones they want to live with.

Nikon90, my advice to you is to see if your school has a Mac lab. If it doesn't you can usually sign up for a Mac basics class at your local community college. This way you can use a Mac for awhile to see if it's worth it. Not everyone likes the way Macs operate. It's a non-issue for me but it could be an issue for you along with other possible issues.

From what I've been able to figure out, most photographers like Macs because it offers them a SYSTEM for handling thier digital images. There's not a thing you can do on a Mac that can't be done on a PC. And I find that most photographers are not computer geeks like me.

But, I will never buy a PC from a major manufacturer ever again. (Of course, I build mine)

(On a side note, you'll be surprised to find out that HP/Compuke server PC's are actually quite reliable. Of course, these are $10K+ machines, heheh)

Most reactions

Back