Aputure Pro Coworker issue - wireless remote will focus but not fire

memily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

Hoping someone can help with an issue I'm having. I received the Aputure Pro Coworker as an xmas gift last year and am just now setting it up. Everything works as it should with the exception of the wireless remote. I have it batteries in it, it is set to continuous shooting mode, I have the antenna out, and all it will do when I press the trigger is focus and show a green light (and that's only about half of the time), but I can not get this thing to fire.....am I missing something??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you read the manual?

Do you have to have the camera set to remote shutter?

This is an interesting topic because I was seriously considering the purchase of the PW adapter.

Have you read the manual?

I no longer have the manual but I did look at two different youtube videos online that explained installation.

Do you have to have the camera set to remote shutter?
Yes, there is a plug that goes into my remote shutter port. The part of it that sits on top of the camera works, but once I try to use it remotely it doesn't capture...only attempts to focus (so there is some sort of connection working).

This is an interesting topic because I was seriously considering the purchase of the PW adapter.

After I posted this I looked up the reviews on Amazon and saw that quite of few people are unhappy with this product. A lot of people said it only worked briefly and some said it didn't work at all.

I ordered a different brand today....we'll see!

I actually meant the settings in the camera...

But, good luck with the different brand! If you ever need a suggestion/opinion prior to purchase, you can always ask on here for advice.

The part of it that sits on top of the camera works, but once I try to use it remotely it doesn't capture...only attempts to focus (so there is some sort of connection working).

Maybe the camera is not focusing.

The cables supplied with cheap Chinese parts typically come broken or break within minutes.

I'm assuming the cable from the unit to the remote shutter port is broken.

Try activating the shutter while jiggling/moving your cable all over to see if there's a break in the wires.

I have this issue with my RF603s and I'm on my third cable already. when it breaks I can focus remotely but it won't activate the shutter. The wire going into the GPS port (nikon) is required to activate the shutter.

Last edited:
You first have to have your camera on focus Lock ( requires focus before shooting).
and my cheap remote (not the brand mentioned) allows me to do a half press which will focus it, then press it the rest of the way/ full press. If you just do a full press it may have the camera focus.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. Hoping I have better luck with the next one :)

I actually meant the settings in the camera...

But, good luck with the different brand! If you ever need a suggestion/opinion prior to purchase, you can always ask on here for advice.

As far as I know (and I could be wrong), my camera doesn't have a particular setting for remote shutter. It has a port that I've used with other wired shutter releases. And when I need a long exposure I go to BULB mode, but other than that I'm not sure I have a setting in the camera (Canon Rebel t3i).

Maybe the camera is not focusing.
I tried it both ways. A half press on the remote is supposed to focus and a full press is supposed to capture. When I use the button on the portion of the Apurture Pro Coworker that sits in the hot shoe it works, but then when I try with the wireless remote it will only focus (and it would achieve focus but not capture). Also, I tried setting up the shot first from the camera and then just trying to capture with the wireless remote and still nada.

The cables supplied with cheap Chinese parts typically come broken or break within minutes.

I'm assuming the cable from the unit to the remote shutter port is broken.

Try activating the shutter while jiggling/moving your cable all over to see if there's a break in the wires.

I have this issue with my RF603s and I'm on my third cable already. when it breaks I can focus remotely but it won't activate the shutter. The wire going into the GPS port (nikon) is required to activate the shutter.

I believe the cable is in working order because the portion of the unit that sits in the hot shoe is working correctly.

the cable is what tells the camera to activate the shutter; the hotshoe does not send that signal.

my theory is that if you remove the cord, the function will not change. you will still see the light and focus and the shutter will still not work.

the cable is what tells the camera to activate the shutter; the hotshoe does not send that signal.

my theory is that if you remove the cord, the function will not change. you will still see the light and focus and the shutter will still not work.

I know the hot shoe doesn't send the signal, it is just where part of the product sits. There are two parts to the product and I'm just trying to differentiate between the two -- sorry if I'm not being clear or not using the correct terminology.

If I remove the cord then the whole system stops working. If I connect the cord, then the part that sits in the hotshoe works entirely and the wireless part only focuses, or attempts to focus, but even when it beeps when it achieves focus a full press will not trigger the shutter.

Just in case it's helpful to anyone, I received the Vello Freewave Wireless Remote Shutter Release today and it works just as it should! It had good reviews and a couple of extra features that the Aputure Pro Coworker didn't have. I really like it.

...also this proves it wasn't user-error :1219::biggrin-93:

Most reactions

Back