Are camera phones as good as digital cameras?

20220928_165921-01.jpeg

Taken with a Samsung S21, post processed in Snapseed app.
While I don't expect my cell phone camera to perform like a DSLR, I use it for two reasons.
1- I want to see what the DSLR (or SLR Film, medium format film and large format film cameras) results will be like after processing/post processing.
2- insurance, insurance and insurance! If, for some reason the DSLR or film camera malfunctions or runs out if batteries, I still have a picture of the subject I wanted to shoot.

That being said, is a cell phone camera as good as a DSLR or a film camera? Not really, if I want to blow up a lot the photo, but their pictures are great for sharing on social media and also keeping a record on the location where I shot so I can come back to the same spot.

To summarize my thoughts, I see a cell phone camera as a tool.

G'day all

I've just seen this post - even tho it's been around for a while .... and I thought I'd make a contribution. My post was also done recently into another thread

Smartfone vs 3x zoom image quality

This comparison was done a year or so back and compared my new (then) smartfone with my trusty $99- Olympus 3x zoom pocket camera. I do not mention the name of the smart-fone as I do not wish to get into a to-and-fro of "mine s better than yours" ..... this post is just for interest.

I suggest that YOU test your own equipment side-by-side and work out your own acceptabilities

The target image ... the flag at the rear of the boat

3x zoom pocket camera image - cropped

Smartfone image - cropped

As always, feedback welcome
Phil

G'day all

I've just seen this post - even tho it's been around for a while .... and I thought I'd make a contribution. My post was also done recently into another thread

Smartfone vs 3x zoom image quality

This comparison was done a year or so back and compared my new (then) smartfone with my trusty $99- Olympus 3x zoom pocket camera. I do not mention the name of the smart-fone as I do not wish to get into a to-and-fro of "mine s better than yours" ..... this post is just for interest.

I suggest that YOU test your own equipment side-by-side and work out your own acceptabilities

The target image ... the flag at the rear of the boat

3x zoom pocket camera image - cropped

Smartfone image - cropped

As always, feedback welcome
Phil
Good comparison. Generally I believe this is the problem with smartphone's cameras. You can put inside a 1 inch sensor but you will never have the sharpness at the lens that you can have in a dedicated camera. You can have a bright enough image but never with the detail you will find in a camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back