Are cameraphones ruining your memory?

I agree that the study sucks.

Still, the point is that this is not just like any other distraction. The point is that it is at precisely the moment we want to recall that we reach for the camera. This is new and different. The question is, does this reaching and clicking make us remember better, worse, or is there no change?

We now have one data point.

I don't bother with the cell's camera much, but I don't bother remembering most of the phone-numbers that I should know (phone numbers of various relatives, friends, etc.), as they are all in my cell phone's contact list. That becomes a problem if the phone is lost, stolen, or inoperative. Fortunately, I have an external memory device called my wife whose encyclopedic memory encompasses all the phone numbers, important dates, and minute details of life. It's one of the reasons we never argue - kinda pointless on my part.:blushing:

9 billion people + 5 billion active cell phones = we are all doomed.

Just curious, what planet are you from??? Here on earth we have a population of 7 billion people. On you planet how do you deal with the extra 2 billion. Is it a large planet, more land mass and less ocean or do you just build you buildings taller. It obviously isn't a more advanced civilization if you are using cellphones to take photographs. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lol:

The future is scary.....yes?

I think it's probably good and bad. Just think, 100 years from now there will be a detailed photographic record of the daily life of millions of people. Most of it will probably not matter to most people, but if you were researching a specific person it might be a good resource to have available.

Other than posting stuff on Facebook, I rarely use the camera on my phone. Actually, I rarely use the phone on my phone too, lol. For the most part, my phone is just a pocket sized web browser. :lol:

Everyone is always scared if the future and new tech. I am sure there were folks who thought the telegraph was going to doom the world.

Everyone is always scared if the future and new tech. I am sure there were folks who thought the telegraph was going to doom the world.
Historically, totalitarian rulers have almost always feared change and new technology - anything that makes it easier for people to communicate, learn, or move around. That's one reason a lot of the countries we view as "backwards" today are the way they are - they resisted new fangled technologies like rail lines to connect cities, or printing presses out of fear that subversive ideas would spread. Basically, they sat the industrial revolution out.

The only time they annoy me is when I start getting them stuck up in front of me when I'm shooting. I have it happening all the time, usually by coaches, or other athletes. I do try and position myself in places that this won't happen, but everyone has one. What they ALL don't realize is that if I don't get my shots because of them, they have taken away my opportunity of recording an important moment for someone else. In many ways they are oblivious as to how selfish they are.

From the standpoint of a concert-goer (and without reading this article) I agree the camera phones ruin a memory. I really hate it when I want to watch a performance, a live performance, only to be surrounded by people holding up their phones recording or attempting to shoot the event, thus blocking my view. They seem less interested in being there, in the moment, than in capturing it and looking at it later. I prefer to be in the moment and think about it later, and remember it.

I still remember concerts that I enjoyed years ago - I didn't need a photo then, don't now. A ticket stub is kinda cool, though. :D

This is an example of exactly what I was talking about!! I was just at a concert and I found myself reaching for my cellphone during my favorite song!! I realized that I was being ridiculous quickly but I still was more into getting a shot off than just listening and taking it in. Sad!! All the people around me had their phones in the air and that was my view. I do believe we are ruining experiences with our obsessions to capture moments rather than live them. =)

Never ever use the camera on my phone and it would be turned off at a concert, i'm there for the music nothing else

Most reactions

New Topics

Back