Are my glasses the issue?

dnavarrojr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topekadesign.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wear glasses and I'm wondering if that might be the problem I'm having with focus issues...

When I shoot video, the camera is locked down on a tripod and connected to a 22-inch LCD monitor, so I have no focus issues. In fact, I do the same thing when shooting stills in my home studio.

But when I'm out and about, I frequently end up with shots that are out of focus and I could swear looked infocus through the viewfiner and on the back of the camera.

I'm going to order a loupe for my T2i next week, but even then I'll be wearing my glasses as I look through the eye-piece.

I have never used a diopter before... aren't they designed to adjust the image to my vision? So shouldn't I be able to take my glasses off, adjust the diopter and get a better picture than with my glasses on?

hurm, i have glasses and never had a problem.

Have you tried using autofocus? It could just be because the viewfinders are small on DSLRs and can be hard to focus. However, I would recommend playing with your diopter to see if that can improve your situation. I don't have glasses so I can't really relate, but it would save you money on buying a loupe if you can get it the way you want it.

Thanks. On my AF lenses, focus is generally fine and I have no issue. The problem is with my manual focus lenses (most of my primes are Nikon, Pentax, etc.. with EF adapters).

Some people with glasses have problems due to:

- small viewfinders
- focus screens that are not bright
- no focus assistance via split screen or microprisms
- viewfinders that do not have long eye relief

... you might be better off by removing your glasses and using the built in diopter (if your vision is not that bad), as your eye will be closer.

For my Minolta 9000 I have a split/microprism screen for it as I only manual focus with it (as it uses very old AF technology). Most newer AF cameras are not designed with interchangeable focusing screens.

Thanks, I'm shooting stills at a hockey game tonight for a client and I may try shooting without my glasses for one period and see how it works out. I'm only shooting the between period shenanigans for them, the stuff I shoot during the game is for my portfolio and sometimes the local paper buys shots.

I have tried with the glasses removal while shooting thing ... I gave up on that as I could not stand not being able to see without the camera in my face.

Some cameras will have large viewfinders and good eye relief ... those tend to be the upper level models.

Fast lenses will help also. You can visually see a big difference if you have lenses f2.8 or faster.

My Canon nF-1 had an amazing viewfinder. Very large prism, very bright focusing screens, and long eye relief ... my current Sony Alpha sucks in comparison, though my Minolta Maxxum 9000 is not bad ... that will be one of the main reasons for me to upgrade the Sony.

I have tried with the glasses removal while shooting thing ... I gave up on that as I could not stand not being able to see without the camera in my face.
Doesn't work for me either... The diopter doesn't have enough adjustment for me to shoot with them off anyway... I could still probably compose fine without being able to see perfectly, and just rely on AF - but I still can't see the meter, or what any of the settings are on.

Depending on the body I'm using, I sometimes have to remove the rubber eyecup thing from the camera when shooting with glasses. With that off, I can get my eye close enough to see everything.

Put the camera on a tripod, use one of your AF lenses and autofocus on something. Then adjust the diopter till it looks sharpest where you focused. Make a not of where the correct setting is, in case it moves accidentally. On some cameras it's covered up by the eyecup, so it can't get bumped accidentally. On some cameras it's exposed though - if it is on yours, it might be a good idea to make a mark where the right setting is...

Put the camera on a tripod, use one of your AF lenses and autofocus on something. Then adjust the diopter till it looks sharpest where you focused. Make a not of where the correct setting is, in case it moves accidentally. On some cameras it's covered up by the eyecup, so it can't get bumped accidentally. On some cameras it's exposed though - if it is on yours, it might be a good idea to make a mark where the right setting is...

Great advice... In fact, I have a printed focus target around here somewhere... I'll toss my 50mm 1.4 on my camera, hook it up to my 22-inch monitor and fuss with it.

Great advice... In fact, I have a printed focus target around here somewhere... I'll toss my 50mm 1.4 on my camera, hook it up to my 22-inch monitor and fuss with it.
All I've ever had to do is look at the focus points themselves to see if my diopter is set right. When they're as crystal clear to my vision as they're going to get, I'm there. You can do that without even having a lens on the camera.

Nope, my eyes are too bad... my diopter's range isn't far enough (1 or two more would have done it). I'll see how things go when I get an LCD Loupe in the next week or two.

All I've ever had to do is look at the focus points themselves to see if my diopter is set right. When they're as crystal clear to my vision as they're going to get, I'm there. You can do that without even having a lens on the camera.
Hmm... Yeah, I guess that works too. Never tried it without a lens on the camera before...

Yup, Buckster is correct ... you adjust the diopter until the focus plane (screen) is sharp usually by looking at the focus point indicators (or other marker).

Thanks. On my AF lenses, focus is generally fine and I have no issue. The problem is with my manual focus lenses (most of my primes are Nikon, Pentax, etc.. with EF adapters).
Well, you should also remember that modern DSLR cameras aren't really meant to be shot with MF. It has nothing to do with vision. Mine's perfect, and shooting manual M42 lens on my Rebel is still a lottery. Some photos are pretty sharp, other aren't. But it's always sharp in the OVF. The viewfinders are just not accurate enough to focus anymore.

I wear glasses and I'm wondering if that might be the problem I'm having with focus issues...

When I shoot video, the camera is locked down on a tripod and connected to a 22-inch LCD monitor, so I have no focus issues. In fact, I do the same thing when shooting stills in my home studio.

But when I'm out and about, I frequently end up with shots that are out of focus and I could swear looked infocus through the viewfiner and on the back of the camera.

I'm going to order a loupe for my T2i next week, but even then I'll be wearing my glasses as I look through the eye-piece.

I have never used a diopter before... aren't they designed to adjust the image to my vision? So shouldn't I be able to take my glasses off, adjust the diopter and get a better picture than with my glasses on?
If you are using autofocus I would have the camera/lens checked. Have you ever tried to wear contacts? They have helped me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back