What's new

Are there any small/point-shoot cameras with manual controls?

Star

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just beginning at photography and I'm looking for a small, compact digital camera with some of the more in-depth controls (adjusting the f-stop manually, etc.).

I'm getting a few books on photography but they all use cameras where you can adjust exposure and so on manually, but since I'm a very beginner I'm just looking for a small, cheap and easy to carry around camera until I'm advanced enough to upgrade.


A few I've heard of are the Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR and the Canon Powershot S95. Do you know if you can adjust those manually, or no?

Thanks a lot!
-Star
 
I'd be willing to get the manufacturer's websites will tell you if a particular model has Manual mode.

FinePix F300EXR: Exposure mode: Programmed AE, Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual
Powershot S95: Exposure Control Method : Program AE, i-Contrast, Manual; AE Lock, Program Shift, Safety Shift, Auto ISO Shift
 
i think the canon G12 and the nikon p7100 has manual control parameters.
 
Skip them. Just get a cheap 10.1 megapixel Sony DSLR. You should be able to get one for around $300 refurbished on eBay with a kit lens.
 
Skip them. Just get a cheap 10.1 megapixel Sony DSLR. You should be able to get one for around $300 refurbished on eBay with a kit lens.
+1. I was looking all over for "the perfect" point and shoot camera and finally got a used D50. That turned out to be a good choice, it's much more capable than any brand new point and shoot.

If size is a factor then the Nikon P7000 or P7100 would be a good choice.
 
I was going to get the P7000 with manual controls and RAW capability. Bought a D80 off craigslist for less than half the cost that does twice as much. Glad I went that route
bigthumb.gif
 
I add my vote to the whole "Buy a cheap dSLR instead" idea. I've got a Canon G10, and while it has manual modes, they are clunky to use. Using a dSLR is a much better way, and you should be able to get a fairly decent older camera in good condition for about the same as a p/s with manual, and you'll get better photos from the dSLR too.
 
Also, keep in mind that with some P&S cameras, they may have a 'manual' mode...but that may not be the type of manual mode that you're looking for.

I'm not 100% sure, but my little Canon Elph does have a 'manual' mode...but I don't think I can specifically set the shutter speed and aperture separately. Manual mode is just the only mode that allows me to adjust the exposure at all (basically exposure compensation).
 
I'm getting a few books on photography but they all use cameras where you can adjust exposure and so on manually, but since I'm a very beginner I'm just looking for a small, cheap and easy to carry around camera until I'm advanced enough to upgrade.

Sometimes you can't get "advanced" enough in a field until you have the right tools to allow you to unlock the potential. I think if you've a longer term aim of getting something like a DSLR or mirrorless camera body for its more advanced controls its better just to jump in and get one. Entry level DSLRs do have a few auto modes to ease one from a point and shoot into the DSLR world and they are certainly not impossible to learn to control with some learning and motivation (heck myself I jumped on a DSLR without even having a point and shoot camera and only ever taking a few snaps with the disposable film cameras).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom