Argh! Wireless network blues! Can somebody please help with this NEW issue?

Hi JW, you may be interested in a set of these 500Mbps Powerline - Powerline - Products - Welcome to TP-LINK. I have set them up for myself and my mom and have had no issues; easy setup and reliable speed. They use your existing home electrical wiring. They are Powerline products and there are several makers. I do use TP-Link.

Jaca -- these are interesting. What exactly are they and how do they work? Do they create a "wired" network through your existing home electrical wiring? That would be cool.

Yes that is exactly how they work. BTW, there are wired and wireless ones. You have to have at least two, but can have more than that. You plug one directly into an outlet (not power strip or extension chord) near your router and connect via ethernet to the router. Then you plug the other one(s) in any outlet around your home and connect that to your device with ethernet or wireless.

Cool. The reviews are hit or miss. No customer service, but easy set up. Don't last long, but easy set up. Low bandwidth...

I dunno. I may consider them. Amazing technology! :sexywink:

Hi JW, you may be interested in a set of these 500Mbps Powerline - Powerline - Products - Welcome to TP-LINK. I have set them up for myself and my mom and have had no issues; easy setup and reliable speed. They use your existing home electrical wiring. They are Powerline products and there are several makers. I do use TP-Link.

Jaca -- these are interesting. What exactly are they and how do they work? Do they create a "wired" network through your existing home electrical wiring? That would be cool.

Yes that is exactly how they work. BTW, there are wired and wireless ones. You have to have at least two, but can have more than that. You plug one directly into an outlet (not power strip or extension chord) near your router and connect via ethernet to the router. Then you plug the other one(s) in any outlet around your home and connect that to your device with ethernet or wireless.
I remember seeing something like this in the 70s when CB radios were popular. The idea was it could use your house wiring as an antenna, though I'd imagine they didn't do that very well (wavelength, tuning and all that).

Turn off the Wireless on the Verizon router... get a GOOD wireless router to plug into that router/modem that you have. Most of the Verizon stuff is crap! Doesn't put out much signal.

or

Run cable... or if you have a RJ45 jack on an adjoining wall... add a jack on the side you need it (Tied into the existing jack. Punching down a jack is easy!)

On the new card... I assumed you checked Device manager to make sure drivers are correctly installed, etc...???? Reinstall the drivers? Did you remove the old card / uninstall the software- drivers first... they could conflict!

Do you know if you are running any MAC address filtering on the Verizon wireless router? The new card will have a different MAC address (doesn't sound like it.. but maybe!)

Here's something interesting that I just found and did not notice before on my desktop monitor...

After installation, in the lower right hand corner of the display there is a second "wireless utility" icon that should appear (it's red). The other wireless utility with a yellow warning sign is the "built in" one that comes with Win 7.

It seems that maybe I'm supposed to click this red wireless utility button and not the existing yellow button, and then the network should connect. I may need to check this out when I get home from work...

Hopefully it's just that...user error.

What router and modem do you have?

My phone is still connected to wifi nearly a block from my house.

I had the DLink Dir-655 wireless router/modem. It worked fine hardwired, but when I got the new computer and connected it to my network from 2 rooms away, I had to buy a wireless card to connect to the network. So I bought that first one listed above. It just will not hold a connection, so I tried the second one listed and I'm now having these problems. It's ridiculous that I have to put up with all this crap for a stupid wireless connection.

I had the DLink Dir-655 wireless router/modem. It worked fine hardwired, but when I got the new computer and connected it to my network from 2 rooms away, I had to buy a wireless card to connect to the network. So I bought that first one listed above. It just will not hold a connection, so I tried the second one listed and I'm now having these problems. It's ridiculous that I have to put up with all this crap for a stupid wireless connection.
+

Again.. disable the original wireless hardware.. or remove it if possible. Uninstall all drivers / software related to it. Uninstall the new card too, and any software driver related to it!

Reboot pc!

Then install the drivers / software for the new card....

shutdown PC and install new card.

Boot the system... see what happens.

I'm on the GD thing right now and it's working. WTF?

I'm on the GD thing right now and it's working. WTF?

Maybe it is a Female wireless card, and it had a headache earlier? ;) Ain't teknoligy Phun?

Most reactions

Back