abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Black Mountains - Colorado River geology
599-river-r2570sq.jpg

-

Do I detect some frost in Arizona? Or why is this photo so blue?

Do I detect some frost in Arizona? Or why is this photo so blue?

No frost- this was taken in May I believe. I tried a couple different WBs on it, left it on cloudy. The only thing I can think of is that it was blue. Very overcast, cloudy- strange. It was taken probably about 10-15 minutes or so before the sun came up.

The pink/lighter stuff may be some type of volcanic tuff. Not sure. The basic geology of the lower Colorado is (from what little I think I know) is the basin plate broke in half, rose up and then flipped over. The river formed while this was going on with dam building then breaching, forming another lake/dam in series down to the Gulf of California. What is seen here is the underside of what was there before the river.

I think it will look good printed on tile- after I run though the wb settings again.

;)

-

I secretly hope for my son that his studies will take him to that area one day, for him to explore it some and learn more about it.
And well, if it was that close to sunrise, that fact alone might account for the blue-ness, as it probably was "the blue hour"?
You meant to print it on TILE? How so? (Cool idea, no doubt!)

I secretly hope for my son that his studies will take him to that area one day, for him to explore it some and learn more about it.
And well, if it was that close to sunrise, that fact alone might account for the blue-ness, as it probably was "the blue hour"?
You meant to print it on TILE? How so? (Cool idea, no doubt!)

I ran into a guy a few weeks ago that does printing on tile. I can't wait until I get some of my 'squares' done. I have no idea what I'll do with them from that point though.

If Julian(?) ever makes it out, and does it through a school, the Desert Studies Center at Zzyzx (Cal State Fullerton/Riverside) is an excellent base of operations. No matter though, I'd do what I can to meet him.

Specs on the EXIF say 30 seconds at f16, iso100. It was probably about 1/2 stop underexposed, but keeping the camera still in the wind was a trick. Usually shooting like that with 'cloudy' white balance the colors stay pretty true, but rich. I've been learning to back off the real heavy color the last 6-8 months--Ever since I started experimenting with trying to duplicate an 'autochrome' effect.

-

Most reactions

Back