Art Photography

Blair

Painting with Light
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Or should I say photographing art.......
From a small village in Northern Chihuahua Mexico comes some of the most beautiful hand built pottery in the world. The artists dig their own clay and build the pots without a potter's wheel. They paint using brushes made from human hair and paints made from natural minerals gathered in the area.
Two of my favorite artists are Abraham Rodriguez and Laura Bugarini. These artists are both young. Laura is in her early 20s and Abraham is 17 years old.
Laura is one of the top artist in the village. She has a waiting list months long for her work which takes days or weeks to paint. This is a close up of one of her famous designs:

IMG_0002-033.jpg

This jar is 6 inches tall and has 64 bands of designs. She uses no magnification while painting:

IMG_0003-033.jpg

Abraham uses a different technique called sgraffito. He paints the white clay jar with black paint then scratches the design into the leather hard clay. This jar is 11 inches tall. I shot them in Black and white. I think this makes the photos more dramatic.

IMG_0014-013-1.jpg

IMG_0005-013-1.jpg

I hope I did the beautiful pieces justice........
Thanks for looking,
Blair

That artwork is just amazing considering that it was done by hand.

Wow-nderful , I like the lines in number 2, along with the strong colors,
amazing work...

Thanks Y'all!

You can see some photos I took of Laura at work on an olla here:
http://www.pbase.com/hblairhowell/laura_bugarini

Her studio is her bedroom which is filled with anything tweety bird....LOL (A story about how the pottery is changing lives in the village: Laure was invited to do a show case of her pottery up in the North East. She took several pots with her. When she returned from the show she had sold them all and went out and payed cash for a brand new Ford Pick-up truck.)

Learn more about this pottery here:
http://www.pbase.com/hblairhowell/consolacion_quezada_at_work

Be sure to check out the gallery of Consolacion Quezada. She builds a pot right before your eyes......

Thanks again,
Blair

Most reactions

Back