Articulating Screen on the Canon 60D- Is it important to you, and why?

After going from a Canon G3 and G5 with a swivel screen to a 30D a year ago, I sorely missed the swivel screen. So, when I upgraded in December, the 60D was my hands-down choice...mostly due to the swivel screen. I know it sounds like a lousy reason for choosing the 60D, but the price was right and so were the megapixels.

I really like the swivel. I quickly found a screen protector and applied it (I forget which brand). It works great when manual focusing in Live view from a screwy angle. Using Live View with autofocus on is too slow. The swivel screen also works well to easily show what's just been photographed to those who want to see how they look.

My big concern, of course, is it's fragility. It feels more sturdy than those on the G3 and G5 I had. But I still worry about knocking into something like a chair back, or whatever, and giving it a good whack when it's extended to the side, where I normally keep it when shooting.

I plan on going to the 5D3 with my tax refund next year. I'll certainly miss the swivel screen. But then, that's the only negative I can see in going to the 5D3, once I have the $$$.

So there are a bunch of third party screens available. I started looking into them because of the lack of a flippy tilty screen on the 5D...

Some of them have brackets and fold up nicely against the camera body, some clip into the hotshoe, etc. Lots of options available, so you don't have to commit to a body just because of its screen.

I love the screen on my 60D. It allows me to be more creative and is a big help for getting those shots where I get low to the ground to get that perspective. I had my spine fused years ago and can't bend down that good so it has come in handy. I also appreciate it for shooting video. I love my 60D. I had a 7D before it and enjoyed it too but prefer the 60D over it because of the screen and also it is lighter.

Most reactions

Back