Artistic vision vs technical perfection?

Mostly I want my images to bleed. Thus I will take any strong image, even if it has some technical errors.

Perfection is often perfectly boring. Many famous images have shortcomings. You dont have to be as extreme as this guy: Miroslav Tichý - Wikipedia but not to be too stuck up about perfection is a good thing, as far as I'm converned.

That said, having a great, well made camera in hand with an equally great lens is very motivating for me.

I seen a movie on that guy. He made me first think about giving up drawing and painting. I agreed with a lot of what he said.

Vision will always trump technique.

“A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit.”

-Spirit Vision Photography

Vision will always trump technique.

“A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit.”

-Spirit Vision Photography
That probably depends on your reality. Or your spirit, though that sounds a little fluffy.

You need both, but to different degrees.
And the shot calls for what degrees.
An artistic shot will generally call for more artistic talent.
A documentary shot, more technical, but artistic can play a role here also.

I'm a techie. I recognize that I have POOR artistic/composition skills. Left brain vs. right brain.
It takes me much longer to figure out a shot than someone who is good with composition. And I may still not get a good composition.
And now being a senior citizen, I don't have the flexibility or agility to get into positions to get certain shots that I may want to get. So I end up passing up shots that I would have tried, when younger.

In high school, one of the best photographers, used to win the competitions with a Kodak Instamatic (the box camera of the day). Leaving us techies with the SLRs way behind. The eye wins over the gear.

Composition and photo rules, to me are a guideline to help me.
And I NEED all the help I can get, in composition.

Artistic shots is where I most often break the exposure rules. To me, the exposure is whatever I need, to get the image that I want. Usually it is various degrees of underexposure to darken or richen the colors. Such as this shot where I kept reducing the exposure until the tower went black.
DSC_8639a-tower-small.jpg

And this is sooooo much easier to do in digital than in film, where I had no idea of what I had until I got the film back from the lab, a week later.

You see that kind of thing in any craft. On this and other fora, you have folks who can tell you the most miniscule detail about their gear, but you never see them taking a picture. I went to a writers conference once where many of the attendees had Masters of Fine Arts degrees. They knew all the jargon, every aspect of writing and publishing. But none of them could come up with a compelling story. It was largely artifice.

From my own experience, capturing a compelling moment is the most trying aspect of photography.

Treat Game Mental Stimulation for dog

Last edited:
Content always wins. Taking a perfect photo of nothing just means you have a pointless perfect photo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back