Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Maybe?

P1040812sm.jpg

Artsy? No, I wouldn't call it artsy.

A very busy image and your in focus subject lacks enough scale to really be considered the main subject.

Maybe a larger subject against that background would work.

I really love this! If the leaf were any larger you would lose those 6 other leaves that are oof in the background.

Artsy is subjective, I think this is a pretty artsy photograph. I think you should call it, The Last Seven Leaves.

Nice job =)

Artsy fartsy

The background blur is a little 'nervous' looking (ripped that description off someone here). Also the specular highlights are hexagonal shaped and somewhat distracting. Not sure if shooting wide open would have helped..

I however do like the colors.

Make this a square crop and add a border, maybe do a layer of selective blur to smooth out the background...? Maybe that'll help make it look more artsy fartsy.

yjqsV.jpg

Do you hate it? I was just goofing around with the colors and fake DOF, but I do like the square crop.

Last edited:
Most lenses look like that when light is shone through them from the opposite end.

None of mine do other than this one. Here it is from the front.

P1040384sm.jpg

Bought it off eBay as "like new". The seller to his credit sent me a replacement without viewing these pics or even asking for a return of this one.

Paul, the crop is OK but the image now looks like it was taken with a crappy lens.

People gush over that crap on flickr though.

Man, that lens is scratched to hell haha..

I hate the term "Artsy". What does it mean? Art-like?

Is it art? Sure, why not?

Is it successful? That depends on your intent.

Is it a pleasing image? No, it's busy and chaotic.

Does that mean it is a failure? Not really. Sometimes a work of art may not "work" standing alone. Perhaps this is part of a series, which further explains what you are trying to communicate to the viewer. Perhaps then, it works.

What bothers me most here is the blown seeds. They are too glaring. I love the colors, I love the chaotic lines. This is an image that agitates the viewer, it feels "exciting".

Compositionally, the leaf is a pointer, and points us out of the frame on the right.
It would be better placed image left. But by recomposing that way, You would lose the 6 red leaves that help lead your eye around. I am sure you could have finagled your viewing angle to place it better in regards to the circle created by the red leaves. I think shooting portrait orientation would have given you more creative options.

I hate the term "Artsy". What does it mean? Art-like?

Actually it conjurers up pretentious in my mind, much like what I see called art.

Is it art? Sure, why not?

Is it successful? That depends on your intent.

Is it a pleasing image? No, it's busy and chaotic.

Does that mean it is a failure? Not really. Sometimes a work of art may not "work" standing alone. Perhaps this is part of a series, which further explains what you are trying to communicate to the viewer. Perhaps then, it works.

What bothers me most here is the blown seeds.

You & me both. My camera tends to blow highlights even with exposure compensation. :(

They are too glaring. I love the colors, I love the chaotic lines. This is an image that agitates the viewer, it feels "exciting".

Compositionally, the leaf is a pointer, and points us out of the frame on the right.
It would be better placed image left.

I had that leaf everywhere in the viewfinder & had to take care not to get the house next door in the background or lens flair as I was close to getting direct sun. I went out today to try again but the damn wind had everything in such motion I could not get a focus.

But by recomposing that way, You would lose the 6 red leaves that help lead your eye around. I am sure you could have finagled your viewing angle to place it better in regards to the circle created by the red leaves. I think shooting portrait orientation would have given you more creative options.

In retrospect I think a longer lens would have been better as I was reaching for this shot @ 70mm.

Most reactions

Back