ASA question

jonm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What film speed to use? I will be going to Yellowstone in a August and I am taking a Nikon N55 with a 70 - 300mm lens. I want to use it mainly for senic vista and wildlife. I have a digital for the people shots. I am looking for info on film speed setting for various situations..ie. low angle sun, morning evening and in/out of the trees.
Thanks

Take a range. 100 for bright daylight, some 400 for morning and afternoon and some 800 for early dawn and dusk (if you push the 800 to 1600 be sure to tell whomever you send it to for developing.)

I would take more 400 than 100 if I were you because of the speed of your lens

Also do yourself a HUGE favor and get a circular polarizer (if you don't already have one) for any lens you use there- RealyRealy!.

Is your only lens the 70-300? if so this is not really a good lens for senic pictures but if you have a wide-angle or even if you don't I would suggest 100 speed and a tripod. I am a big fan of Fuji Reala and this is 100 speed and I have had alot of luck with it. Also Reala can be bought in 12 exp. rolls wich is good so don't get stuck with a very slow film in your camera for other situations. I second the notion of a Circular Polariser as well.

Landscapes:

100 ASA (Slide or B&W)
Tripod
Polariser
Bracket your exposures.

Take your time...

Kodak Gold print film or Kodachrome slide film if you can still find it.
Polarizer
Graduated Neutral Density filter
Tripod
Definitely not black and white film unless you have considerable experience with controlling tones and lighting.

skieur

Is your only lens the 70-300? if so this is not really a good lens for senic pictures but if you have a wide-angle or even if you don't I would suggest 100 speed and a tripod. I am a big fan of Fuji Reala and this is 100 speed and I have had alot of luck with it. Also Reala can be bought in 12 exp. rolls wich is good so don't get stuck with a very slow film in your camera for other situations. I second the notion of a Circular Polariser as well.

I do have the 28-80 and a polarizer and experienced some success with the help of a class from my camera shop. The 12 exposure rolls is an excellent idea!
Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back