Ashlee Simpson

mygrain said:
core_17 said:
Metallica, Fuel, AC/DC, Ozzie, Chili Peppers, (ok, so some of those are a bit older) and SO MANY MORE! =REAL ROCK STARS! :)

err...don't you mean, sellouts = rock stars? I know I'm gonna catch so poop but Metallica sucks elf nuts. They haven't had anything worth listening to since "and justice for all"...yes i thought the black album ate air buscuits...the stale kind. AND they are such jackasses for this whole record industry lawsuit. Fuel...I have no idea who those guys are so i can't say for sure...but as for Ozzie...well there is no question about the sellout part...Chili peppers have been de-seeded for damn sure...mothers milk was thier peak. ... OKAY...AC/DC still are freaking rock stars. Sorry Correy this is not aimed at you on anypart but I can't see the difference between Metallica and the Simpson girls. They both share the same male speedo string on my beach. :D

As for the simpson girls...they both are plastic barbie dolls that are being toted by their looks...which BTW is really not so hot IMO. I'm glad to hear she was booed off stage. She sucks and we deserve real entertainment DAMNIT!!!

No need for apologies, I can see your point too. And really, I like the older stuff anyway. Well, I do like the new Chili Peppers stuff though..but Metallica and Ozzie and all them, I guess it really is the older stuff that I like. I listen to everything, but I think 80's/early 90's rock/metal is my fave! :) And I have heard a lot of people say that about Metallica. I guess I haven't been a fan long enough to have really seen the progression from what they were to what they are. And I don't pay much attention to anything except for the songs themselves...I don't pay much attention to the publicity and whatnot that the band does.

I'm with Mygrain on this one. A lot of so-called "rock stars" are just old boy banders. The difference is that back in their day...boy band was hair band.

Today the boy bands can dance but not sing or play. Back then, they could play (loud guitar) but not sing or dance.

To tell you the truth...I don't care either way. Music doesn't play as big a part in my life as it seems to for most people. I listen to the Radio most of the time. Country, Rock, Pop...it doesn't really matter. If I don't like what I'm hearing, I change the station.

I don't listen to any bands that don't write their own music. I like to see bands that actually worked their asses off playing shitholes than engineered bands.

voodoocat said:
I don't listen to any bands that don't write their own music. I like to see bands that actually worked their asses off playing shitholes than engineered bands.

Some of the greatest bands I've seen have been in some of the dingiest crapholes. They're the real rock stars. Sweating buckets and only earning enough for gas money to the next gig.

Karalee said:
Big Mike said:
ferny said:
She's the one who did the really bad cover of Take My Breathe Away isn't she? Can't say I like the song in the first place but her version was even worse.
And her sister is the brunette who got caught out on TV with the backing track isn't she?

No, that was her (Ashley).

Her sister is the more famous Jessica Simpson...she looks like a Barbie doll...complete with the empty head and blank stare. She ties to sing, act and be married to rock star Nick Lashay.

Im embarrassed to say I know this

The hack that sang take my breath away is Jessica Simpson, barbie doll of our generation.

The brunette is the sister who got booed, and the one with the background track, Ashlee

Ahh, ok. Neither have exactly made ib big over here...

have to say i disagree with ya a bit mygrain. I see your point, but it just seems to people jump on bands/stars as soon as they release a successful album and brand them as sellouts. And because they are put on such high pedestals (by media, fans) its alot easier to knock them off these silly pedestals as soon as you here one bad story or a change of style in their music they decide to take.

I've often heard REM (in Athens of all places) being branded as sellouts. Yet they have done more for restoring the town of Athens more than any developer could.

If band members seem arrogant post success, its often an augmentation of something that was already there in there personality.

But I will agree about AccaDacca, the boyz from melbourne still rawk after all these years! :headbang:

I don't hate bands when they get successful. Yes, a lot of elitest assholes like to cry sellouts when bands get big. Unless their music goes to crap, which some do.

vonnagy said:
have to say i disagree with ya a bit mygrain. I see your point, but it just seems to people jump on bands/stars as soon as they release a successful album and brand them as sellouts. And because they are put on such high pedestals (by media, fans) its alot easier to knock them off these silly pedestals as soon as you here one bad story or a change of style in their music they decide to take.

I've often heard REM (in Athens of all places) being branded as sellouts. Yet they have done more for restoring the town of Athens more than any developer could.

If band members seem arrogant post success, its often an augmentation of something that was already there in there personality.

But I will agree about AccaDacca, the boyz from melbourne still rawk after all these years! :headbang:

I don't think all success stories are followed by selling out- some folks deserve to be put on a pedestal for thier work especially if they have changed thier style and sold lots of cuts, but sellouts are in it for the money and the fame not for the music. Metallica I don't think were sellouts from the get go but look at them now-money hungry and demanding thier cut from insanely over priced music and suing the crap out of fans. If they really loved the music and the fans they would have gone a different route and demanded better prices for cds. That's why Dave Mustane left early on and started Megadeth. He couldn't stand what they stood for as musicians. But money and fame will and does change folks.
And I would never think REM as sellouts. Those guys stand on thier own feet with or without fame. They obviously love the music.

Look at Fugazi. They are an awesome band, have a huge fan base, put out tons of music but they don't sell a cd over $12 bucks and thier shows are only $5-10 a head. They have a pedestal in many crowds but not sellouts.
How about the Eels. they left dreamworks because they were being limited to the amount of music they were allowed to release. E had so much music inhand that when Dreamworks was sold he got out as fast as he could so he could release his music to his fans for $12 bucks a CD. Not a sellout. They're in it for the music and the fans.

BTW Von- just to through a wrench in my own machine... I'd sellout too if someone flashed a fistful of cash in my face to sell shampoo- but then again I'm a scoundrel at heart and poor as hell. :twisted:

BTW Von- just to through a wrench in my own machine... I'd sellout too if someone flashed a fistful of cash in my face to sell shampoo- but then again I'm a scoundrel at heart and poor as hell.

But I'm sure it would be a shampoo you really believed in, wouldn't it?? :p

terri said:
BTW Von- just to through a wrench in my own machine... I'd sellout too if someone flashed a fistful of cash in my face to sell shampoo- but then again I'm a scoundrel at heart and poor as hell.

But I'm sure it would be a shampoo you really believed in, wouldn't it?? :p

That all depends on how much money they were flashing :wink:

mygrain said:
core_17 said:
Metallica, Fuel, AC/DC, Ozzie, Chili Peppers, (ok, so some of those are a bit older) and SO MANY MORE! =REAL ROCK STARS! :)

err...don't you mean, sellouts = rock stars? I know I'm gonna catch so poop but Metallica sucks elf nuts. They haven't had anything worth listening to since "and justice for all"...yes i thought the black album ate air buscuits...the stale kind. AND they are such jackasses for this whole record industry lawsuit. Fuel...I have no idea who those guys are so i can't say for sure...but as for Ozzie...well there is no question about the sellout part...Chili peppers have been de-seeded for damn sure...mothers milk was thier peak. ... OKAY...AC/DC still are freaking rock stars. Sorry Correy this is not aimed at you on anypart but I can't see the difference between Metallica and the Simpson girls. They both share the same male speedo string on my beach. :D

Preach on, brotha!

Hey now; let us stay on track here. Our perception of what a sell out is our own. Perception of "keeping it real" is different for everyone. Pop culture can and will not be ignored. Mostly because of the mass amounts of money certain parties stand to make.

Stagecraft is tough man. I have rehearsed for six weeks and was still able to blow it beyond comprehension. Common folk like myself can only imagine what goes on in Ms. Simpson's life. I have to add that 60 minutes was doing a feature on Saturday Night Live during that week. Need less to say; Lorne Michaels was not happy.

RANCID all the way. :D

Originally published by Punknews.org on Jan 06, 2005
Lars Frederiksen from Rancid:
"We're blue-collar kids from working-class families, and punk rock is as natural to us as tying your shoes. It's what we are. It's every thread of fabric of what we are? What else am I gonna ****ing do?! I've got tattoos all over my body. This is what I've dedicated my life to. I don't wanna be some 9-to-5, punch-the-clock machine, where I have to go the factory and check in and check out and go home to some dreary life. That's not for me.

It's not like punk is some past-tense thing that we're reflecting on. It's not something that happened twenty years ago. It's something that's happening now.

The one good thing about Rancid is that we never signed to a major label. We've stayed indie our whole career. We've been on Epitaph, now we're on Hellcat. One of the most gratifying things is how kids come up to us all the time and they say, "Man, we didn't sign to no ****ing major label because of you guys. We saw you guys do it independently. We have no ****ing managers, we split everything four ways no matter who does what." They tell us that they want to blueprint their bands like us, because we've shown that you don't need some ****ing big major label who you're gonna end up taking it in the ass from, eventually, to make music? That's the thing about punk rock. It gave me an out, emotionally. I've been in jail, I've been a heroin addict, everything under the sun. I got tattoos on my ****ing face. Where I fit in most, where I always felt most comfortable, was with punk rock. That's the place where I found a true way to express myself. It's where I found my family."
[/quote]

vonnagy said:

Now THOSE guys are Rock personified !
Cant say I've really gotten into their music but I respect where they came from.
They were playin gigs in pubs back when it was really wild and bloody in the Aussie rock scene , along with Billy Thorpe & The Atzecs , Jimmy Barnes etc etc !
INXS did the same thing , years later. They were this little band playing in the local rowdy , smoky pubs in Aus...
Acca Dacca and co. definately earned their Rock N Roll stripes :lol:

Most reactions

Back