Ask the Rabbi--Chanukah

Lol, no need to say sorry or whathaveya. My question was more out of curiousity then anything. My great grandmother raised her children 'Church of England' - whatever faith that stands for (Anglican/Christian ? ). Henceforth, my immediant family has no connection to the Jewish part of the family/ancestory other then blood ties.

I don't think my MIL relit the candle. I felt bad about that, in my Gentile ignorance.

As far as the symbolism of placing an orange on the Sedar plate, she explained that the orange represented the feminine, the importance of women in Judaism.

An excerpt from a website I just found :

'It is a custom of growing importance among Reform Jews to include an orange segment on the Seder plate in place of the second bitter vegetable to emphasize the importance of women in Judaism. This stems from an orthodox Rabbi who was once asked about the place of women in Judaism — he is said to have responded "Women have as much place on the Bimah as an orange on the seder plate." The orange has since become symbolic of the important place of women in contemporary Judaism.'

Being the only female in a family of 3 sons and a husband, I think she found the orange a nice touch and while she is not an 'avid feminist' she is a woman who revels in and celebrates womanhood, not just for herself but for every woman surrounding her.

Thanks. That appears to be something new, and I'd never heard it. As I said, my knowledge is with the conservative and orthodox movements. I know very little about the reform and reconstructionist movements. Cool.

Yes, the Church of England is Anglican (SP). It's basically Chatholicism without the pope and ministry can marry. (Catholic light is what the Episcapalians (SP) (who are the Anglicans in America) say of the Church of England.

jocose said:
Mentos,

Hmmm, maybe I SHOULD put Poland on my list. I think I would want to go to Warsaw though, just cause of the Ghetto and all of that. Is there anything there commemerating the Ghetto or the uprising?

And what's it like there expense wise? I mean can you travel around cheaply, or would I really need to stay in one city to cut down on costs?

well... this is a hard question... it is cheaper than for exaple travelling all over France or England... but not much... train tickets or planes are the most expensive way of transport. for me to get to warsaw (700 km) it is about $30 for a train ticket. I dunno how it relates to prices in US but $30 for a not comfortable trip is quite a lot. but you can always take a bus... I'm not talking about a big coach but in every city there are companies with small 9-12 person buses and they are cheaper...

food: for bread for example you'll pay $0.70. but I mean Polish bread... not this stinky toast bread...
http://www.poland.com/modules.php?name=PG_Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=15
under this link you will find prices in poland... but they are in EUR only... and of course they differ from place to place... Warsaw is the most expensive city.

but do not expect that you can travel here and there around Poland cheaply. For Poles it is often cheaper to spend holidays in Italy or Spain... or even France rather than by the Polish sea side. Really. That's why I haven't spent holidays in Poland since... 1994 :p since we joined EU last year prices went up for most things. I don't want to scare you but that's the reality

And about Warsaw. there are a few buildings left from the Getto. but I'll search something in the net for you.. honestly I've never been interested in it and I haven't been to Warsaw as a tourist... :) I would be the best if you send PM to Anua. She lives in Warsaw and may be closer to any info about Getto.

oh... and I think there's a Museum of Ghetto Uprising...

I've been celebrating Jewish Holiday's for the last year or so. My friend has also been celebrating most Christian holiday's. I don't think either of are really that religious, but twice the turkey and other treats is totally SWEEET.

After reading that I'm definatly gonna be able to impress her parents though.

Thanks.

Most reactions

Back