Attempted Clamshell lighting

There's gotta be a reason that the HMUA position exists for models right?!
Yup. To spread the goodness around. Seriously, though - makeup creates a persona, and obscures the person behind the mask. If surfaces is all that we should care about, then sure. But there's much more depth to most people I see and meet. And it is nice if that depth is revealed in the portraits. But that's only my opinion.

There's gotta be a reason that the HMUA position exists for models right?!
Yup. To spread the goodness around. Seriously, though - makeup creates a persona, and obscures the person behind the mask. If surfaces is all that we should care about, then sure. But there's much more depth to most people I see and meet. And it is nice if that depth is revealed in the portraits. But that's only my opinion.
Something to ponder I suppose. But on the flip side, makeup is applied in layers and layers just create extra depth right. ;-) :giggle:

I promise you @pgriz, I am taking your post seriously on the inside over here.

I'm not sure if this is the best crop or not, but I cropped it to a sort of square aspect ratio and tried some different Lightroom factory presets on it, as well as a couple of Matt K's free LR presets, along with some minor adjustments to exposure, or to the blacks,and or highlight recovery. You know it's a good portrait when it can be re-interpreted multiple ways, easily, and ALL of them look good! (Just as an aside, I PM'd Jazzie about a half hour ago, and asked if it'd be okay if I posted these photos..she said it was okay.)

Jazzie_crop_A_bleach bypass.JPG

Jazzie_crop_A_bleach bypass

Jazzie_crop_B_sepia.JPG

Jazzie_crop_B_sepia

Jazzie_crop_C_sepia_flat tone curve.JPG

Jazzie_crop_C_sepia_flat tone curve

Jazzie_crop_D_Matt's Sin City dk red.JPG

Jazzie_crop_D_Matt's Sin City dark red

Jazzie_crop_E_Twilight_adjusted.JPG

Jazzie_crop_E_Twilight_adjusted

Jazzie_crop_F_General Zeroed.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the best crop or not, but I cropped it to a sort of square aspect ratio and tried some different Lightroom factory presets on it, as well as a couple of Matt K's free LR presets, along with some minor adjustments to exposure, or to the blacks,and or highlight recovery. You know it's a good portrait when it can be re-interpreted multiple ways, easily, and ALL of them look good! (Just as an aside, I PM'd Jazzie about a half hour ago, and asked if it'd be okay if I posted these photos..she said it was okay.)

View attachment 103037
Jazzie_crop_A_bleach bypass

View attachment 103038
Jazzie_crop_B_sepia

View attachment 103039
Jazzie_crop_C_sepia_flat tone curve

View attachment 103040
Jazzie_crop_D_Matt's Sin City dark red

View attachment 103041

View attachment 103042
No offense Derrel, but I like her original the best.

Jasmine, I've wanted to try a clamshell lit portrait too. Did you play around with the lighting on the left and right instead of top and bottom?

Most reactions

Back