ATTN: Canon L Series Shooters - Please Read

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am currently in Korea and planning to take an epic journey next year through Tibet to see Mt. Everest. From there I will be travelling throughout India and finally to SE Asia. Aside from living a dream I will be capturing a database that I plan to be able to sell online in the future.

Good glass will be essential, of course, and I am looking to upgrade from my current 17-85 IS (30D). This is where your advice may aide me:

I am considering two lens combinations :
1. 16-35 2.8 and 24-105 or/
2. 24-70 and 70-200 f4 IS.

Landscape photography is my where my focus will be although cityscape and people will also be of intrigue to me as well.

Here is how I currently see the pros and cons of each possibility:

Going with option 1 will allow me to keep my current camera body (b/c of the crop factor) and shoot with a wide angle, high quality lens along with a terrific all around great lens with IS built in with the 24-105.

However, I am considering selling and upgrading to a very good quality used 5D and using the 24-70 as my landscape lens. It will provide essentially the same focal length at its widest angle as does option 1 (as well as being of very high quality itself). As well, I feel I will enjoy having up to 200mm when I'm taking some safaris in India.

I spoke with a rep at a canon store today who heard my concerns over the 24-70 not having IS and responded that at that focal range, IS doesn't really matter to the extend that it does in longer lenses. He was honest, I felt, and highly recommended the 24-70 because of its higher quality output. I will be travelling with a Gitzo CF tripod to stabilize my landscape shots and using a remote switch as well.

If you are experienced with this topic or these lenses, please provide your insight into which direction I should move with this decision.
If you see an angle that I don't, please don't hesitate as well.
Keep in mind that do have a relatively advanced tech. understanding of digital cameras as I read extensively on them.

Thank you sincerely for reading and for taking the time to post.

-Colin Gennoe

Last edited:
Between the 2 options I would go with Option 1 for those reasons:

The 24-70mm is not wide enough on a 30D
The 16-35mm willwork on a full frame sensor camera (very wide angle lens, which could be really useful on a 5D)

Or you could consider option 3:

17-40mm f4.0
70-200mm f4.0 IS

On the 30D, I would agree that 24-70 doesn't get wide enough. Plus, the 16-35 is my favorite lens. I almost never take it off my camera.

My vote is for option #1.

But, if you're already taking an epic journey (funny choice of words, by the way), the extra buckage for the 70-200 f4, is probably justifiable.

No matter what, I hope you also consider a backup camera, tons of batteries and lots of storage. The last thing you want is to get to the top of everest only to find that your main camera is dead, without batteries or enough storage to take any pictures.

May I suggest getting a better body for its ruggedness? This trip sounds like it'll put a beating on what you'll be using. Weather proofing seems kind of important in these regards. Perhaps an older 1D?

No matter what, I hope you also consider a backup camera, tons of batteries and lots of storage. The last thing you want is to get to the top of everest only to find that your main camera is dead, without batteries or enough storage to take any pictures.

I'm charmed :) but I'm not actually climbing Everest! i'll be hiking to Everest base camp.

Does anyone shoot with either the 17-40 or 16-35? i've understood the 16-35 produces the highest quality output in Canon's wide angle zoom category. Is there a considerable difference in quality between these two lenses?

I shoot with the 17-40 and allthough the 16-35 is sharper in tests, you will be pixelpeeing something fierce to see the difference. They are both great lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back