August '06 Photo Challenge - "Absence"

TheFinisher3 said:
:biglaugh:I guess we all make mistakes. :D

Yep. I will write our instead of are and your instead of you're when i'm not paying attention (which is most of the time).

:)

the one that gets me though, is "definately" instead of definitely.

lol

TwistMyArm said:
ab·sence
Pronunciation: 'ab-s&n(t)s
Function: noun
1 : the state of being absent
2 : the period of time that one is absent
3 : WANT, LACK <an absence of detail>
4 : inattention to present surroundings or occurrences <absence of mind>

absence of detail? can i send one of my totally out of focus shots?
just kidding

I was wondering why a discussion on the given theme for this month's challenge could bring about 18 replies .... heehee, now I know why: it is not about "absence" as a theme, but "absence" of spelling, heehee.

I usually try to type correctly but have found I make mistakes myself, too, though I SEE the other mistakes easily, like "to many" when it is to be "too many" or "your" when it is to be "you're" and so on, and - too funny - my pet peeve also is "definately".

When I see typos in titles I always itch to edit them out, but rarely the initial posters ask us mods to do so for them...

wee... that would an interesting one!
If I understood it, I`m in!

Glooomp said:
I'm sorry, but this is really starting to get up my goat. I have seen it WAY to much on these forums. In this context, it is not "then", it is "than".

Sorry to go off topic, but it was hurting my eyes.
To the Americans that's correct.. there's a difference in British English (BE) which you use (AKA Commonwealth English.. that's probably more accurate and less pompous) and American English(AmE) which they use.. in AmE 'then' would also be correct in that sentence... I saw an article on it in Wikipedia about 'than and then differences', but I can't find it... the best I can dig up is..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

ok so I live for Wikipedia, shutup :p

Also, is there any examples about Absence-themed photos? I know what absence means but I can't quite fathom what it would look like. Would it be perhaps an empty field? (Obviously an empty field with some good lighting and that to make it look like a worthwhile photo)

SleepingWolf said:
absence of detail? can i send one of my totally out of focus shots?
just kidding

Or you could submit a photo that is entirely black and call it "abscene of light".
Anyway I don't really want to give away what some of the others have submitted, but just feel free to interpret "absence" in whichever way you want.

Anyway I also just wanted to mention to everyone that I'm in the middle of a move. If anyone is at all concerned about whether their images have been recieved I should be setup by Tuesday. I should be able to send out replies to everyones submitted photos by then (or is it "than").
Thanks for your patience.

:confused: OMGAWD yall I am scared now......being southern I type the way I talk eeekkkkk.
I really dont mind comments on my photos ..I love them in fact only way for me to get better. BUT yall gotta give this newbie a break when it comes to spelling. ggesshhhh and I type too fast and "ing" comes out ign :wink:
Well I better get shooting have a couple ideas and I hope they are up to the level of competitors I am up against.
Yall have a great day

Dom0803 said:
Also, is there any examples about Absence-themed photos? I know what absence means but I can't quite fathom what it would look like. Would it be perhaps an empty field? (Obviously an empty field with some good lighting and that to make it look like a worthwhile photo)

The concept of "Absence" will mean many things to many people.. As a photographer, you can present this theme in many ways.. Its all going to be in the eyes of the shooter..

I personally, try not to look at others presentations of a theme until I have presented my take on it. I like to keep my mind fresh and un-cluttered by others interpretations..

I believe that "Absence" can mean the lack of something being there, sort of an emptyness, or it can be a conglomeration of things with something not present... Either way, its all in the mind of the photographer..

MsSage said:
:confused: OMGAWD yall I am scared now......being southern I type the way I talk eeekkkkk.
I really dont mind comments on my photos ..I love them in fact only way for me to get better. BUT yall gotta give this newbie a break when it comes to spelling. ggesshhhh and I type too fast and "ing" comes out ign :wink:
Well I better get shooting have a couple ideas and I hope they are up to the level of competitors I am up against.
Yall have a great day

cutest post EVER

Most reactions

Back