Auto and manual

I'm going to again disagree with a lot of what was posted here. What's the difference between a handheld metre and the camera metre? Other than the specifics of how they work they do the same thing.
Yup... I agree with everything you said and thats basically what I've been saying in my previous posts. As I said, I use all the modes depending on what I want.

BUT..

When I'm trying to teach the basics of exposure to a person who is extremely green in photography, I found that holding the camera in their hands often distracts them from what I'm trying to explain. They bring the camera up to their eye, attempt to bring things into focus, try to search for the buttons (shutter), and often are distracted (no eye contact with me). They are too busy looking through the camera. A handheld meter is a great tool that is specific to one thing... exposure. It helps focus on the topic at hand... exposure. This is why I believe the handheld meter is a better learning tool. Not to mention, they walk away with an idea in the use of an handheld meter... which is great if their camera has no operational meter. They walk away with an understanding of all the advantages of using a handheld external meter.

Auto.. just like AV and TV, selects a shutter and aperture, and relays that information to the user. As long as it relays that information to the user and he/she can understand the reason it is still a tool that one can leverage and learn. BUT... I am still in agreement... AV TV and manual (even program) are far better tools. I rarely use Auto... mainly because I only have 1 camera that has that mode... my P&S.

At the car show this weekend I used auto everything because all the moving vehicles and you had to snap fast before they were gone. This is also the first time I used the camera.

Each shot I took I would look and see at what readings the picture fell under so I was still paying attention to aperature and shutter speed.
I think I got some pretty neat shots for auto.

Good for you.. congrats.. If auto is the right tool for you during the auto show, use it but keep an understanding of what was involved in selecting the aperture and shutter. In this case, it allowed you to focus on other things like composition. Eventually you will out grow the full auto exposure mode and the rest will come naturally.

I'm going to disagree with that statement a little. I think actually seeing something with the eye, that you then choose to shoot is one of the biggest creative elements in photography, if not the biggest. You also discount the importance of good composition in photography. I do agree that you are missing out a lot using auto.

So why can't you compose a proper shot with a compact?

Using Auto mode will give you what the camera "thinks" is the correct exposure. Same as with a compact in auto mode.

Sure the image may be slightly better quality but without any creative input (by that I mean exposure) you are losing out. I believe auto mode should be avoided at all costs. You will learn more using one of the creative modes.

So why can't you compose a proper shot with a compact?

You can't? :shock:

Oh dear :pale: - and one of my best photos ever was taken with a compact, set to P. :oops: I think I now must revise my thinking and liking and - just about everything in my life :confused:...

You can, I reckon some of my best shots were taken with a variety of P&S compacts that I keep with me in the car or at work.

My point then adds that using a DSLR on auto is not using it to its creative potential. You are just as well using a compact than buying a DSLR and using it on Auto.

You can't? :shock:

Oh dear :pale: - and one of my best photos ever was taken with a compact, set to P. :oops: I think I now must revise my thinking and liking and - just about everything in my life :confused:...

The question was more retorical and of course the answer is you can compose a shot with a compact.

What I was saying that using a DSLR on Auto is similar to using a compact camera. There's little to no creative involvment (other than composition) when using either cameras in Auto mode.

Ah. I can feel RELIEF wash all over me now! Phew. *mops brow* *BIG SIGH*

Right-o. Little to no creative involvement (other than composition), but that one still is one of my best (argh, new anguish, for WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT ME!?!?!? :shock: ).

Ah. I can feel RELIEF wash all over me now! Phew. *mops brow* *BIG SIGH*

Right-o. Little to no creative involvement (other than composition), but that one still is one of my best (argh, new anguish, for WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT ME!?!?!? :shock: ).

it says you got a nice image. Not every image needs to have the creative use of DOF and shutter speed but using the creative modes will not only make you a better photographer, it will allow you to create better images and will allow you to add your own creative slant to your photography.

The question was more retorical and of course the answer is you can compose a shot with a compact.

What I was saying that using a DSLR on Auto is similar to using a compact camera. There's little to no creative involvement (other than composition) when using either cameras in Auto mode.

And I'll have to disagree here. If the OP would learn to use his meter (and especially if Canon had bothered to put a Spot Meter in their Rebels) he could easily be creative with regards to exposure. It is simply a mater of exposing for a portion of the shot (much easier with a Spot Meter) and holding the AF/AE Lock button while recomposing and then shooting. With practice using manual mode is Easier but not necessary.

For a look at this The OP might take a look at this...http://planetneil.com/tangents/exposure-metering/

(don't you love it when someone else does all the work)

mike

The OP is a woman and I have a film camera that I am using all the time in my photography classes so yes, I am learning how to use my meter built into the camera. In fact, I use nothing but manual when using my Nikon. BUT.....This was the first time taking out my digital and I am still learning how to use it.

My question was basically to find out how everyones camera's are used in different situations.

014_gerahmt_websize.jpg

This is the photo taken with my Powershot in P-mode that I am talking about.
And yes, you may tell me all about the lens distortion and how much better this photo would have been with a camera with tilt lens, but I don't own such a camera and was in NYC only once and for 4 days only, so that was the situation. And I wonder how much more creativity I might have put into this very photo had I taken it with the 350D in manual mode?

So, Dubie, if you want to know how I used my cameras while hubby and I paced through NYC, he being impatience personified, and I seeing everything there for the very first time, I tell you: I had the zoom lens on the 350D and used the Powershot for photos for which I needed a wider angle. I just couldn't (as in COULD NOT, no time, no room, no possibility) change my lenses as often as I would have needed to use a different one from my 70-300mm on the 350D.

That is how this photo came about.
And P-mode set to -1 (slight underexposure) was my programme of choice then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back