auto settings and iso question

pocketcamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Once i had a digital, i noticed the "internet sources of wisdom" all started touting out that you should never take the iso above a specific level that matches what actual film can do. thus they stuck with the idea i should keep to 3200 iso or less.

I had my iso going all over the place using auto iso and standard auto white balance. I was looking around and i really couldnt keep the iso under 1000. But once i changed auto white balance to "automatic, but keep soft tones in image" the iso stays under 1000

unless the image has an area with really bright high lights, or is really really dark.

i have a tendency to shoot my images dark, the EV scale is normally -1 or -2

Not sure if there's a question in there, but maybe I can bring some clarity by describing how I usually shoot. I use manual mode with auto ISO set from base (for my D850 that's ISO 64) to 1600, which is my personal threshold for acceptable levels of noise. So I pick my shutter speed according to the motion of my subject (if any) and to avoid camera shakes at aperture for the DOF I want and let ISO float to give me an acceptable exposure, but before clicking the shutter I look at what the camera has chosen for ISO. If there's plenty of light, the ISO will be low and life is good - shoot away. If the light is iffy then ISO will be high and I can expect noise to show up in the image, especially in shadow areas. So, if I want to reduce noise I compromise by either choosing a lower shutter speed or larger aperture.

But, there are other things can be done when the camera wants to use higher ISOs. You can take multiple shots (if there is no motion) then align them and merge them in you PP software like Photoshop. If I merge 2 shots each taken at ISO 1600, the result will be an ISO 800 image. Another thing you can do if there is some motion is to take a couple of shots at your chosen shutter speed using the continuous high setting for your shutter, then decrease your shutter speed by half and take several images, then decrease your shutter speed by half and take several more images. By taking several images there is a high probability that at least one of the images in the middle of a sequence at a lower shutter speed will be sharp, but with lesser noise than your originally chosen shutter speed.

Original poster is no longer with us =]

Not sure if there's a question in there, but maybe I can bring some clarity by describing how I usually shoot. I use manual mode with auto ISO set from base (for my D850 that's ISO 64) to 1600, which is my personal threshold for acceptable levels of noise. So I pick my shutter speed according to the motion of my subject (if any) and to avoid camera shakes at aperture for the DOF I want and let ISO float to give me an acceptable exposure, but before clicking the shutter I look at what the camera has chosen for ISO. If there's plenty of light, the ISO will be low and life is good - shoot away. If the light is iffy then ISO will be high and I can expect noise to show up in the image, especially in shadow areas. So, if I want to reduce noise I compromise by either choosing a lower shutter speed or larger aperture.

I nearly always shoot manual and set the ISO for the prevailing conditions. However, I often get it wrong and will have to try auto ISO again. It's been a while and I've had a new camera since then. I'm guilty of the same with WB. Cheers!

Most reactions

Back