Av "Camera Shake" Make it Stop!

R0TT3NBURIT0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon Rebel XTi that i got January 31, 2008. During low light and even with a lot of light when on Av mode I get a mad blurry image. Even if I try to hold my camera still, without tripod the perfect images get a blurr and mess everything up. Can someone please help.

P.S. I'm very new to photography, so take it easy on me. :)

use a tripod, even with the tripod you might want to get a remote to shoot the picture, or even use the time setting. i've noticed that on my tripod i sometime shake the camera just from pushing down the button, depends on the terrain and how your tripod is setup i guess

So the best idea is to carry around a tripod with me at all times? That sucks if your saying that i take a lot of pictures of low things such as small flowers or insects in grass. i contunually get a blurry image. i don't think a tripod could get that small.

Bump up the iso (500-800 should be good) and you can shoot in lower light, ie faster shutter.
Down side is that it comes out a bit grainer but when I shoot at 1600 I'm usually not blowing them up over 8x10 anyways.
-J

Can you post a pic for an example, I'd like to see this, then maybe we can help you out a little more.

A sharp image at ISO 1600 or 3200 is better than getting a clean yet blurry image.

I have a Canon Rebel XTi that i got January 31, 2008. During low light and even with a lot of light when on Av mode I get a mad blurry image. Even if I try to hold my camera still, without tripod the perfect images get a blurr and mess everything up. Can someone please help.

P.S. I'm very new to photography, so take it easy on me. :)

I see you're using AV mode, but what aperture are you specifying? AV mode is a semi-manual setting where you have to manually specify your aperture, and shutter speed is automatically set based on how much light it needs to take in.

Keep in mind that the lower number (3.5, 4.0, etc) represents a larger aperture (more light) than a higher number (11, 22, etc). So, if you're trying to get in more light by making the number bigger, then it's not going to happen :).

As somebody mentioned, up your ISO...that should help some. For the XTi, I would go around for general shooting at ISO 800 or so. If you are shooting something where clarity is absolutely necessary, then see how low you can go without sacrificing shutter speed.

(if this was too easy, then don't take it personal...we were all beginners at one point :)) Also, thanks for coming to TPF for questions! :thumbup:

"The sharpest lens I ever bought... was a tripod" I never forget that quote. For your particular problem, as everyone above me has stated, raise the ISO and open your aperture, your problems will go away. Hehe...

Hello;
You wrote that it made it in Av mode only. Please be careful about the shutter speed. If you shoot in very high F numbers, the shutter speed will be too low and whatever you do, the photo will be blurry. I guess you keep the F number too high (like F20 - F22) so the shutter speed is adjusted too low automaticly. I advice you not to shoot on hand in F numbers higher than F8. Control your Shutter speed and don't let it to be lower than like 1/100.

There are various techniques to help to steady the camera without using a tripod. I probably take my tripod out with me once a month or less, and I handhold long lenses. I'm not bragging, just saying that it's a technique that you'll learn in time.

On top of what everyone else said above. I would highly advise learning to use the meter and aprature manually as well. For hand held shots use the fastest shutterspeed possible with the given light regardless of ISO choice. Raising the ISO will allow for higher shutterspeeds but is not always required. When holding the camera for your shot you should release the shutter at the very top or bottom of your breath, never during inhale or exhale and do not hold your breath. For any shots requiring a shutter speed of 1/30 or more (I.E. 1/15, 1/8, 1/4...ect.) you should use a tripod.

I take alot of macro shots which also aren't real condusive to a traditional tripod, but there are a couple options:

You could use a monopod. If you use one with adjustable height, then you can brace it against the ground and prop it against your free arm like a makeshift tripod.

Another option is a gorillapod, which bends and contorts into various positions. It's flexibility also makes it fairly easy to carry with you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
1) Put up the ISO to 800/1600 or whichever is enough to shoot with a faster shutter speed.

2) Don't shoot with a shutter speed slower than 1/60sec on a non-IS (non-image stabilizer) lens

3) opening up the aperture to a lower value would help, or the lowest in some cases.

Hope this helps.

Simple answer:

1. Change to Program mode
2. Set your ISO to 400
Unless you're shooting in extremely low light, this should get you up and running.

Then, after you've had a while to get used to your camera, learn to use AV or TV or Manual modes.

I agree with the above posts - the problem is most likely the high aperture restricting light and making your shutter speed WAY too slow.

I have the exact same camera and lens...I don't use the 18-55mm much, but when I do I am looking for a shutter speed of 1/30 at the VERY slowest. Even then more than half my shots will have camera shake. Usually if I cannot get the shot I want at slowest 1/60th of a second, aperture 8, 400 ISO (at most, XTI is decent but can have noise...), I will open the aperture more (which on real close in shots creates depth of field issues) or use a tripod.

Always keep an eye on your light meter and ap/shutter speed settings in the view finder. I would also suggest shooting manual while you learn - will get you used to your cam quickest.

Hope this is the problem as is easily fixable :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back