AV shutter speed too slow...

KDPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon Rebel XS. I recently purchased Flashpoint monolights and I am having trouble with slow shutter speed in AV. While in TV the pictures take fine. How do I adjust my shutter speed and to what to make my pictures turn out?

AV adjusts your shutter automatically based on the metering
TV adjusts your aperture automatically based on the metering
M lets you control both

If you're shooting with any kind of off-camera flash then you want to be in M mode.

Might I suggest taking a look at the manual that came with the camera.
You know, that big paper book that usually gets thrown away...

Might I suggest taking a look at the manual that came with the camera.
You know, that big paper book that usually gets thrown away...

Now why would I do that if I could just come here? :sexywink:

Because manuals give more detail, are less sarcastic, and part of photography is being self sufficient when you can. :)

AV adjusts your shutter automatically based on the metering
TV adjusts your aperture automatically based on the metering

AV adjusts the shutter speed to a balanced meter reading based on the lens aperture that you manually selected.

TV adjusts the lens aperture to a balanced meter reading based on the shutter speed that you manually selected.

So if you are using AV ... and your shutter speed is too low or high, that means the lens aperture needs to be adjusted.

I have a Canon Rebel XS. I recently purchased Flashpoint monolights and I am having trouble with slow shutter speed in AV. While in TV the pictures take fine. How do I adjust my shutter speed and to what to make my pictures turn out?

Before I get any deeper into this thread, so I have a gauge on you level of experience, can you please explain to me what you know about the difference between Av and Tv? What the do, how they work, what their purpose is, when to use them, etc.....

I pretty much never use Av mode with flash - either on camera E-TTL or off camera manual flash. Even if you try to do E-TTL mode in Av it will always set the shutter speed as very slow to properly expose a dark background, where the foreground subject is illuminated by the flash and is metered seperately through the E-TTL pre-flash. Confused? Yeah, it took me like a year to get my head around it. Reading stuff online is more helpful than the camera manual most times, but the key is to read and search to find the answers you seek, don't just expect to ask and have everyone on a forum jump to type out pages of info tailored for your specific problem.

The camera meter can only meter ambient lighting - if you're using lights to add light in a flash burst the camera meter cannot balance for those lights because the light is not there before the shot for the camera to take it into account.
Thus AV mode or TV mode are not ideal - manual mode is the way to go and either chimp the LCD and histogram to check and adjust settings and lighting as needed and/or add a flash meter to your setup to meter the flash light output.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back