Avenue of Giant Boulders

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got around to processing another shot from my visit to this beautiful place.

"This section of the upper Rogue River is relatively flat and gentle above here, then crosses under the Mill Creek Drive Bridge (what was at one time a covered bridge), and drops rapidly into the Gorge. The view from the bridge encompasses the Rogue’s roaring waters (in spring) with Mt. McLoughlin in the distance. A trail north of the river is a view from a 100-foot-tall cliff. Trails south of the bridge wind you down into the boulders. Viewing old photos – available at the Prospect Historic Hotel (just 1/4 mile away), one can see the impact of the power of the Rogue River. Several huge boulders that are in the historic photos have moved a considerable distance downstream." -- Avenue of the Boulders - Central Cascades Geotourism Project

Avenue of Boulders Sign by Rotanimod, on Flickr

Avenue of Boulders by Rotanimod, on Flickr

Avenue of Boulders Landscape by Rotanimod, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the look of the cliffs and the creek better in #2, but I also think that is has too much sky. The cropping off the top in #3 was a good idea, I'd like to see that applied to #2.

Number 3 for the win.

Thanks. The processing is so different that I prefer #2 for the vibrant colors and light. What do you like about 3 more than 2?

I like the look of the cliffs and the creek better in #2, but I also think that is has too much sky. The cropping off the top in #3 was a good idea, I'd like to see that applied to #2.

Is this what you're getting at?

Crop by Rotanimod, on Flickr

Rotanimod, I was just going to agree with Big Mike that while Pic #2 is the best of the set, there is just too much sky. Then suggest a crop just above those trees on the right. You must have read my mind. Nice crop.

The crop of the trees are the right in picture #3 just bothers me. They're just so dominant, and needs their tops to really stand out.

Number 3 for the win.

Thanks. The processing is so different that I prefer #2 for the vibrant colors and light. What do you like about 3 more than 2?
I think that the composition makes for a better flow (visual flow, not water flow ;)). In #2, my eye follows the river to the centre of the image, and then crashes against the trees with nowhere else to go. In #3, my eye follows the river and the virtual 'S' that it forms when coupled with the lighter trees in the background, so in the end everything flows smoothly from the bottom left to the top right. The tall trees block the eye from leaving, then the eye follows the light on the sky from right to left, and then the lighter part of the rocks guide my eye back to the river. I'm not going to say that I think that this is the perfect composition, but in terms of flow it's pretty good. Considering the amount of visual clutter you had to manage, I'd say you did a great job.

Most reactions

Back