awesome white balance?

Usayit - that was just about the workflow I used...
I'd say that Paul Johnson uses much the same thing - except he takes much longer and much more care than my 5 minute demo...
Some of his compostion is interesting... I do like the pics where the subjects are right at the edge of the frame... though I do 'see' C&C comments of fellow posters warning "me" of 'dead-space' (seems my dead space is someone elses achievement - which was the crux of my OP...)

KellyLindsay - His exposure is far from "fabulous" - lacks consistency over a range of his pictures (take skin tones for example) - we are seeing his images after PS, and he still can't achieve skin tone consistency, so what must his SOOC images look like...
I'll ignore your remark about his very nice camera with amazing clarity...
His treatment of white-balance (AKA very-high-key) was achieved in PP - I doubt if anyone could achieve the dyanamic range of these shots in-camera. Deep blacks 025 and bright whites 235 are just not achievable in camera. Shot in RAW, even the medium-range of exposure from centre weighted would give him enough data to PP...
Lot's of soft areas in his pics too...

bblaine - I agree with not exactly (ref my comment above that my effort was a 5 minute tweak, whereas....) So I have added 30% more white space to the pic I originally posted (still the rough cut image)... and I would appreciate your learned comment on why my image does not have the same effect as http://www.pauljohnsonphoto.com/portraits/index2.php image 7

Now... just to CLARIFY... the purpose of my OP was just to say that here is a guy producing very high key images, PP'd, which (IMHO) would have been shot down if they'd been posted for C&C on this forum...
(overexposed... too bright... too much dead space... blown out...)
I'm not knocking Paul Johnson... I'm not saying there is anything WRONG with his style (in some instances I like it) And if his customers like it - then that's all that matters...
Matter of fact, next shoot, I will PP some this way and see what reaction I get...

If we all rowed together, the boat would get somewhere... Anon

Jedo

Attachments

• $High Key.jpg
    $High Key.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 74
I just finished reading CrimsonandWhite's thread enquiring about histograms.
Interesting to read that thread in the light (no pun intended) of this thread regarding overexposure. Paul Johnson seems to be using overexposure as a feature/style, and this has generated some responses.
Jedo

Well... I would someone to comment on why MY very-high-key images are so much different to Paul Johnsons...
White Space is white space...? Yeah..??
Jedo

The flash casts a really bad light on your subject Jedo. She looks ghostly, not high key. The shadow under her chin is unflattering.
Shooting to the right of the histogram is a technique used by many, I do it. I won't argue with you about your opinion because we are obviously opposite in it and there' not a chance your changing mind and vice versa :)

The flash casts a really bad light on your subject Jedo. She looks ghostly, not high key. The shadow under her chin is unflattering.
Shooting to the right of the histogram is a technique used by many, I do it. I won't argue with you about your opinion because we are obviously opposite in it and there' not a chance your changing mind and vice versa :)

Fair enough Kelly - we'll agree to differ...
Yes - I ETTR too...
There never was any flash to this image - everything was done PP...
I agree the shadow under her chin - I didn't PP that - it was only a rough image - should've cloned it out - but the main purpose of my 'demo' was to make the point that people would baulk at MY images - yet not at Mr Johnson's...
Jedo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back