B&W Girl/Horse/ASL Fingerspelling

AllHailZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These were taken recently, and I'd love some feedback/critique on them. I am Deaf, so I had the girl fingerspell something... I'll let you guess what, it's pretty easy to figure out.

These were taken with a Nikon N80 35mm with an wide-angle lens and developed in the darkroom.

#1.
CassHorse.jpg

#2.
SunglassesHorse.jpg

#3.
CrossedHeads.jpg

#4.
ForeheadCassRed.jpg

#5.
LandscapeCass.jpg

#6.
SwingCassandra.jpg

#7.
LOVE.jpg

Boy, these scans look terrible. I'm sure they're fine when printed in the darkroom, but wow.

Oh, you're too kind! Thank you for providing useless feedback instead of how I could improve myself!

Come again soon!

I like the photos and think the artistic composition of the LOVE is really a neat idea. Keep up the good work.

I wouldn't change a thing. These look awesome, I love the composition. :thumbup::thumbup:

New member here....was invited over by a friend. Anyway....

The one thing that sticks out to me for criticism is in #2 with the wider angle focal length the horse looks like he's all head and one leg....almost like a horse head on a stick. I like her pose in this one, but the horse looks funny.

All the others look very cool to me....I like the emotion conveyed. Maybe in #3 have her look slightly toward camera creating some eye contact....just a thought.

I really like #1, #5, and #6. The last one is a very cool idea.

Good stuff.

New member here....was invited over by a friend. Anyway....

The one thing that sticks out to me for criticism is in #2 with the wider angle focal length the horse looks like he's all head and one leg....almost like a horse head on a stick. I like her pose in this one, but the horse looks funny.

All the others look very cool to me....I like the emotion conveyed. Maybe in #3 have her look slightly toward camera creating some eye contact....just a thought.

I really like #1, #5, and #6. The last one is a very cool idea.

Good stuff.

Thanks, guys! Finally some feedback... The graininess of 1, 5 and 6 is driving me crazy. I think #2 is a cool shot because normally horses are so large you'd think more of him would show up, but it didn't. It's like Red was hiding behind her... #6 was the third try, the first two came out blurred, it's a good thing I took more than one shot.

The reason why 7 is so clear is because the actual pictures are only like 4 x 2 1/2 inches... The others are more like 6 X 7 or so.

Boy, these scans look terrible. I'm sure they're fine when printed in the darkroom, but wow.

Wow ? Could a member be more petty ?

AllHailZ - Lovely shots. ;)

I'd have to say the same thing about #2. The horse looks weird. A little to the left or right and you would've gotten more of the horse, thus making him look more complete so to speak.

And I love the ASL pictures. I'm rather partial to them. I think if you did a search through my stuff, you might find a shot I did. I, too, am deaf.

This is a wonderful series! I personally love the grainy-ness quality to these. :) Great job!

Thanks, guys! This means a lot to me, I've been trying to get feedback since January... Brighteyesphotos, what a pleasure it is to know that there's another Deaf photographer here! I would've never expected that.

As for the horse, next time I'll get more of him instead of just straight-on.

AllHailZ,
I like em all. In fact I like the grainy-ness. Seems like they'd be in a big leather bound book that I'd find searching through an attic. I'm not in any way a photographer - yet - but in my un-professional opinion the ASL would stand out a little more if the hand were a little more away from the girl so the tree would be the background for the hand. Didn't notice it until Splauche pointed it out, but the horse on a stick did make me chuckle. I think all the photos are really good - my faves 1 and 7.

I did think about that, but when she put up the fingerspelling, it just seemed to give it a more personal touch, so I didn't have her move away from her hand.

Thanks for the feedback!

Most reactions

Back