B&W Re-edits

Excellent.

Joe

Really nice impact. I hope you printed 1 wall sized.

How do you go about your black and white conversions?

Really lovely how the B&W images 'glow', it's a nice representation of the 'power' within..if you get my meaning..*smiles*

I think these look even better in B&W. They have a lot of power that color would tend to obfuscate.

Thanks. I actually thought about a large wall cling poster of the first one. That would be a cool accent wall.

I generally approach each conversion independently. Regardless of a color or B&W edit, I start with the camera calibration set to Adobe Standard, then apply a preset I've created that makes adjustments to the tone curve, contrast, clarity, activates lens correction, and a couple other minor tweaks. This makes the foundation of the image better to work from. Then I work each image from there adjusting exposure, blacks, whites, shadows, highlights, colors, etc. tweaking the image to the final outcome. If I am editing a large batch, say a couples portrait session, I will often only need to made minor exposure adjustments and a tweak here and there to the black and white points after applying my preset. If I think I might like it in B&W, I make a virtual copy in LR after applying my preset, but before I make other adjustments, and convert the copy to B&W, then work on the remaining adjustments to suit for that image.

Really lovely how the B&W images 'glow', it's a nice representation of the 'power' within..if you get my meaning..*smiles*
Thanks!

I think these look even better in B&W. They have a lot of power that color would tend to obfuscate.
Thank you! The original color versions were very colorful, and you're right, the color overshadowed a much more detailed and impactful image.

Excellent job. These look great!

Thanks. I actually thought about a large wall cling poster of the first one. That would be a cool accent wall.

I generally approach each conversion independently. Regardless of a color or B&W edit, I start with the camera calibration set to Adobe Standard, then apply a preset I've created that makes adjustments to the tone curve, contrast, clarity, activates lens correction, and a couple other minor tweaks. This makes the foundation of the image better to work from. Then I work each image from there adjusting exposure, blacks, whites, shadows, highlights, colors, etc. tweaking the image to the final outcome. If I am editing a large batch, say a couples portrait session, I will often only need to made minor exposure adjustments and a tweak here and there to the black and white points after applying my preset. If I think I might like it in B&W, I make a virtual copy in LR after applying my preset, but before I make other adjustments, and convert the copy to B&W, then work on the remaining adjustments to suit for that image.

Thanks!

Thank you! The original color versions were very colorful, and you're right, the color overshadowed a much more detailed and impactful image.

Thanks, I appreciate the rundown. I, and likely most others, am self taught with the Adobe programs, so seeing other's methods can be eye opening and really improve my work flow. I'd pick your brain on several points you mentioned, but don't want to veer your thread, and there's some starting points for research on my own.

I like them! I would like to see the original color ones, are they posted somewhere?

Excellent job. These look great!
Thank you!

Wonderful conversion. #1 is just perfect.
Thanks very much!

Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate the rundown. I, and likely most others, am self taught with the Adobe programs, so seeing other's methods can be eye opening and really improve my work flow. I'd pick your brain on several points you mentioned, but don't want to veer your thread, and there's some starting points for research on my own.

Glad I could be of help!

I like them! I would like to see the original color ones, are they posted somewhere?
Thanks! Here are some links to the color versions:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/54751692@N08/h4b11d

https://www.flickr.com/gp/54751692@N08/UKB66R

Two stunning images.

I think that B&W really does then justice. :encouragement:

Most reactions

Back