Back Button Focus

CassieD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. I am trying to figure out my back button focus. I have a Nikon D3200. My question is that if I have my AF-area mode set to Single Point AF it doesn't seem to work. I focus using the back button and then when I go to take the picture and press the shutter button it refocuses? Can someone help me? I am also wondering if someone can explain to me if I should have the rangefinder on or off? Sorry for all the questions I am just getting very frustrated with my photos lately. I feel like they are all either out of focus or a very soft focus. Thank you in advance!

I am also wondering if someone can explain to me if I should have the rangefinder on or off?
You shouldn't need the rangefinder if you are using auto-focus lenses. I use the beep unless I'm in a place where the beep would be a problem.

I'm not familiar with your camera. But if the situation is anything similar to my D500, then there are two menu options to check. You need to first make sure back button focusing is turned on. You need to then make sure that AF to the shutter button is turned off.

My advice is simple: Don't use back-button focus. The shutter release does a perfectly good job of handling the focus.

My advice is simple: Don't use back-button focus. The shutter release does a perfectly good job of handling the focus.
When I tried back button focus, I found it awkward and completely useless (I have a Canon 80D). I abandoned the idea and carried as always. 6 months later, I was struggling with getting focus as I wanted it and thought to myself that I could do with a separate focus button - eventually even my antiquated brain made the connection.

BBF is very useful, but only if you need it. If you are struggling it could well be that you do not need it. I do not use it most of the time but it is essential for insects on plants.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

You have to assign the back button. You have to turn off the shutter focus function. You have to be in continuous focus mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back