Back drops

mrsdthompson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How much do back drops run? And where do you get them? What sort of set up would I need to hang it? Anything else you can tell me about them would be helpful I know NOTHING! LOL!

Ebay has some really cheap ones (albeit you get what you pay for).

Make your own, I bought a piece of white muslin that is 12'x8 from a craft store (Michaels) for $7 with a 50% off coupon and it was on sale to begin with!

Look on amazon.com, they have whole kits, separates, lighting, etc that very in price.

How much do back drops run? And where do you get them? What sort of set up would I need to hang it? Anything else you can tell me about them would be helpful I know NOTHING! LOL!
It varies with the quality of the backdrop, and what it is made of.

For a good muslin backdrop I expect to pay about $350, but for seamless paper I expect to pay about $45 for a 107" x 12 yd. roll. Savage 107"

On eBay check out the Amvona store for lower quality less expensive backdrops.

Otherwise: Photography Studio Backdrops & Props - Denny Mfg Co. and Muslin Backgrounds, Backdrops and Photography Studio Equipment by Silverlake*Photo*Accessories

Have you got any lighting to go with the backdrop because they are not much use without studio lighting

I don't:( But I kinda wanted to see what it would cost to get a back drop. What would the umbrella, flash and stand and all that cost???

I buy painters drop sheets and paint them up myself.

If you are not looking for studio quality or studio pricing, such as most starting hobbiests, you could go pretty inexpensive.

Depending how inexpensive you wanted to go, you could buy a cheap kit on ebay. Inexpensive backdrop stand, black and white muslins, couple light stands with umbrellas, even a tripod to get you started. You could then pick up some hotshoe mounts to use on the light stands later of you want to toss on some inexpensive strobes (like the vivatar or yongnuo flash units)

That would work in your livingroom for family and friends.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What would the umbrella, flash and stand and all that cost???
It would depend on the quality and size of each.

This is a decent starter setup of light stands, umbrellas, and umbrella brackets: Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

As far as a flash, I often use several of these: Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash with the camera in manual shooting mode. You would not be able to trigger those units with your D90's CLS Commander mode.

Many use inexpensive radio triggers like this: StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back