Back from New York!

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went on a bus tour to New York state for the past three days. It was one of those shopping tours so I spent most of my time on a bus or in malls... I wish I got more time to explore New York, New York and take more pictures... anyway, here are the pictures I really liked. C&C welcome!

ISO: 100
1/30 f5.6
taxij.jpg

ISO:200
1/100 f16
redboatb.jpg

ISO: 200
1/500 f9
empirestateedit.jpg

1/160 f16
cloudsovermanhattan.jpg

1/250 f9
yah i'm aware of the gap in the glass panes :(
binoculars30rock.jpg

1/400 f9
dsc0404em.jpg

1. I really like this one and I think the selective coloring works nicely on it.

2. I'm not sure what it is about this one, but Its not doing much for me as far as holding my interest.

3. Nicely composed, but the color seems a bit flat and the image looks a bit underexposed.

4. I'm not sure whats going on with this one. All the buildings on the right almost look as thought they are being blown by the wind {not possible I know} The tall building actually appears to be falling over.

5. You already pointed out the gap in the glass.

6. Love it! :) Very nice perspective you chose for this. A thought - It might be even better if you cropped it right down to the top of the viewer.

yes! i was waiting for someone to point out number 4. when i look through the view finder, everything's flat and normal... and when i look at the shot later on the computer... the sides are... bent. :s anyone know why that happened? it happened for a few of my family pictures too.

6. Love it! :) Very nice perspective you chose for this. A thought - It might be even better if you cropped it right down to the top of the viewer.

I actually like the blurry buildings, it gives some perspective, but I'd be interested to see it cropped too.

I actually like the blurry buildings, it gives some perspective, but I'd be interested to see it cropped too.

I agree it looks good with the blurry buildings... if you cropped them out, the whole "turn to make clear" doesn't mean anything...

#1 Even though I don't like most selective coloring stuff, I think this works pretty good because the cabs of NYC are famous. However, i would have filled more of the frame with the cab and I would have chosen a busier sidewalk as background.

#2 and 3 are pretty much snapshots to me.

#4 You seem to be wondering why the buildings are leaning in. Wide angle I would think. Overall not the most interesting skyline shot. Way too much sky with barely anything going on.

#5 You could have improved that one by lining up the building away from the gap by moving right. And it would have also meant that the viewer would not be hiding any of it. You would have ended up with the gap somewhere between the two and it would have worked with the image instead of against it.

Or you could have moved to the left and centered the building inside the gap and get a different kind of photo.

#6 Doesn't do anything for me at all.

I'm sorry you had to spend any time in malls. I HATE malls. :lol:

pballer: that's what i went for haha :] thanks for understanding 8D

c.cloud: thanks for the criticism! i never thought of using a busier background on the cab, thanks for that :p a tighter crop would've been nice too but i wanted to give it some space to "move into" if you get what i mean.

#2 was really like a snapshot, but the red boat kinda caught my eye and i seem to like the boat a lot so i uploaded it.

#3... i was trying to make the place look kinda like a miniature set of NYC (kinda failed..) so i wanted lots of buildings and stuff. the shot's kinda boring, but i like the lighting so i uploaded it.

THANKS for explaining #4 to me :p yah, i wasn't really going for a skyline shot in that one... more in it for the sky. i really liked the clouds and i thought i'd throw the skyline in since just the clouds would've been kinda boring. i like it though, it kinda makes the city look tiny compared to the rest of the world. wish i got a darker sky and more contrast.

#5: yeah, believe me D: i tried. there were many panes of glass and many gaps... and when i got the tower in a spot i wanted it, i couldn't get the viewer where i wanted, and vice versa. that plus the fact that i was short on time and the rest of the tour kept getting in the pictures i took... i kinda just settled on this one. wish i could go there sometime on my free time and do it again.

#6 i find is a love or hate thing. half my friends love it, half my friends find it plain.

anyway, that's my lengthy explanation of my shots. :]

Most reactions

Back