Back in the Lake District `part Two

As requested by Buckster I have started a second Lake District thread the original thread is here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/276109-back-lake-district.html
You misunderstood my request and the reason behind it. No doubt I wasn't clear enough, so I'll try to explain better this time.

Because your individual images can be over 1 megabyte each, and because you post so many per page, each of your pages is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 megabytes in size, which takes a LOT of bandwidth and time for viewers to download. 3 pages of a single one of your threads can be somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-120 MB's to download in order to view it.

My request is that every time you have a few new photos to post, you make a whole new thread to post them in, which makes the download size and times much more reasonable and manageable for the rest of us.

Point taken, but I do not intend to start a new thread with every upload. I belong to quite a few forums including ones with gallery threads for camera types - for full frame and for medium format for example in Pentax forums where one gallery thread is 4400 posts long. I will compromise and keep a thread per trip to keep the volume down. I haven't had any mods asking me to do what you request, nor have I had any objection from anyone else. I am not going to have a new thread for each set.

Point taken, but I do not intend to start a new thread with every upload. I belong to quite a few forums including ones with gallery threads for camera types - for full frame and for medium format for example in Pentax forums where one gallery thread is 4400 posts long. I will compromise and keep a thread per trip to keep the volume down. I haven't had any mods asking me to do what you request, nor have I had any objection from anyone else. I am not going to have a new thread for each set.
No problem. It's easy enough to avoid the hassle just by putting you on ignore. Have a good one! :)

No problem. It's easy enough to avoid the hassle just by putting you on ignore. Have a good one! :)

What a very strange and childish attitude :thumbdown:. You aren't a moderator of this forum, you asked and I made a compromise. I don't see any way that I am being unreasonable. I took on board what you said and have made a compromise that will work for me and is a compromise. I'm not turning around and moaning that no-one is CCing my stuff. If they do, then that's fine, if they don't then that's also fine.

I just figured it was better than starting multiple threads in the landscape section.

Now if an actual moderator has a problem with what I am doing then I'll look at it again. You throwing your weight around doesn't cut it. You can put me on ignore without announcing it on the thread, but then there would be no drama, would there?

What a very strange and childish attitude :thumbdown:. You aren't a moderator of this forum, you asked and I made a compromise. I don't see any way that I am being unreasonable. I took on board what you said and have made a compromise that will work for me and is a compromise. I'm not turning around and moaning that no-one is CCing my stuff. If they do, then that's fine, if they don't then that's also fine.

I just figured it was better than starting multiple threads in the landscape section.

Now if an actual moderator has a problem with what I am doing then I'll look at it again. You throwing your weight around doesn't cut it. You can put me on ignore without announcing it on the thread, but then there would be no drama, would there?
Again, you misunderstand my intentions.

By putting you on ignore, the pages of your threads load lightning fast because the browser doesn't download any of your images (that I've already seen). Then, I can click on just the latest post by you in the thread (like I did with this one) to load and see JUST those new images in that single post.

That's MY compromise. You can continue to post as many photos of any size you want to the threads, loading them up all you like with hundreds of megabytes of data as you please, as you've indicated is your desire, and it no longer affects my time and effort to just look at the ones I haven't seen yet.

That's not strange or childish, nor throwing my weight around, nor being dramatic. It's a solution that we can both live with, and if anyone else is tired of waiting while your ginormous amounts of data downloads just to see the latest couple of photos from you, they might find this solution helpful as well.

The only downside is that I won't get a notification via email whenever you update, but that's okay too - I spend enough time in these forums to see when there are new posts in particular threads that might interest me.

Oh, and for the record, I do think you're being unreasonable and even selfish about insisting that everyone download insane amounts of data just to see your latest couple of photos. Not everyone's on a T3, you know. And with lots of folks surfing the forums these days on phones and tablets while out and about (and yes, I'm one of them), the huge data amount problem with your threads is magnified.

And since you made the statement, no, it's not better than starting up multiple threads in the landscape section, or any other section, which is what the rest of us all do with our postings. Since you seem not to have noticed the social aspect of the forum in trying to be reasonable about photo and page sizes when it comes to how much download that means for people to see them, I'm just letting you know - it exists.

As an example, in the Themes section, if I have 30 photos that fit a particular theme and I want to post them all, I don't put them all in one single post, even though I typically size them down to somewhere between 300-400 kb each to make it easier on folks. See, I realize that, combined with the rest of the photos on a page, that would require a LOT more downloading for folks who come after me on that page. So I break up that group of photos into several posts - to help the other members out a little.

My "Ignore" solution renders your selfish attitude and the problem it creates moot while allowing you to continue to have it, so it's all good for both of us.

What a very strange and childish attitude :thumbdown:. You aren't a moderator of this forum, you asked and I made a compromise. I don't see any way that I am being unreasonable. I took on board what you said and have made a compromise that will work for me and is a compromise. I'm not turning around and moaning that no-one is CCing my stuff. If they do, then that's fine, if they don't then that's also fine. I just figured it was better than starting multiple threads in the landscape section. Now if an actual moderator has a problem with what I am doing then I'll look at it again. You throwing your weight around doesn't cut it. You can put me on ignore without announcing it on the thread, but then there would be no drama, would there?
Again, you misunderstand my intentions.By putting you on ignore, the pages of your threads load lightning fast because the browser doesn't download any of your images (that I've already seen). Then, I can click on just the latest post by you in the thread (like I did with this one) to load and see JUST those new images in that single post.That's MY compromise. You can continue to post as many photos of any size you want to the threads, loading them up all you like with hundreds of megabytes of data as you please, as you've indicated is your desire, and it no longer affects my time and effort to just look at the ones I haven't seen yet.That's not strange or childish, nor throwing my weight around, nor being dramatic. It's a solution that we can both live with, and if anyone else is tired of waiting while your ginormous amounts of data downloads just to see the latest couple of photos from you, they might find this solution helpful as well.The only downside is that I won't get a notification via email whenever you update, but that's okay too - I spend enough time in these forums to see when there are new posts in particular threads that might interest me.Oh, and for the record, I do think you're being unreasonable and even selfish about insisting that everyone download insane amounts of data just to see your latest couple of photos. Not everyone's on a T3, you know. And with lots of folks surfing the forums these days on phones and tablets while out and about (and yes, I'm one of them), the huge data amount problem with your threads is magnified.And since you made the statement, no, it's not better than starting up multiple threads in the landscape section, or any other section, which is what the rest of us all do with our postings. Since you seem not to have noticed the social aspect of the forum in trying to be reasonable about photo and page sizes when it comes to how much download that means for people to see them, I'm just letting you know - it exists.As an example, in the Themes section, if I have 30 photos that fit a particular theme and I want to post them all, I don't put them all in one single post, even though I typically size them down to somewhere between 300-400 kb each to make it easier on folks. See, I realize that, combined with the rest of the photos on a page, that would require a LOT more downloading for folks who come after me on that page. So I break up that group of photos into several posts - to help the other members out a little.My "Ignore" solution renders your selfish attitude and the problem it creates moot while allowing you to continue to have it, so it's all good for both of us.
I take it back - I did misunderstand you on this occasion, please accept my apologies. Shows the difficulty of reading intentions on the interweb. It came across to me as a strop. My images as posted are rarely above 400kb, and I have started sizing them smaller so as not to subjected to harsh resizing algorithms. I will try and keep images down to a 2 page maximum.

Most reactions

Back