Back to school!

adamhiram

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Time to go back to school! This year certainly looks a bit different, with remote learning being the new norm. That doesn't mean he gets to skip fall pictures though.

Fall portrait
Nikon D500 with 85mm f/1.8
85mm, f/8, 1/250s, ISO 100

Lighting: 38" octobox approx 30° camera left and slightly above subect, large white reflector for fill camera right of the subject, background light with 4" reflector behind subject

20200907-DSC_1152a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

First day of school
Nikon D500 with 50mm f/1.8
50mm, f/4, 1/200s, ISO 400

Lighting: Natural light with some minor dodging and burning with radial filters to draw focus to the subject

20200908-DSC_1251a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

Back to school in this most unusual year. My son just began his senior year, and it was of course online. Right now Oregon is suffering from 35 forest fires ;the air quality here is absolutely smoky. Visibility is about 1/2 MI.

Last edited:
There's that gigawatt smile!!! He is really growing. @adamhiram that portrait is about as good as it gets....excellent job, you really nailed it. I also like the back to school though I wish the door kickplate wasn't behind him.

Our Lil'bit started preK couple weeks ago, though they're in class. It's hard for rural school districts to consider online, because of the lack of high speed internet once you move outside the more populated metro areas.

Wonderful images, thank you for sharing.

Really nice images, he looks like he's going to make the best of his time at school.

Thank you very much for the kind words!

Back to school in this most unusual year. My son just began his senior year, and it was of course online.
Glad to hear that remote learning is an option. I've heard of different struggles for kids of all ages; mine is that a 5 year old who can't read yet and doesn't know how to use a laptop now has to sit through 6+ hours of Zoom meetings every day, which means I also get to do that (in addition to my actual job). It's definitely taking some getting used to!

There's that gigawatt smile!!! He is really growing. @adamhiram that portrait is about as good as it gets....excellent job, you really nailed it. I also like the back to school though I wish the door kickplate wasn't behind him.

Our Lil'bit started preK couple weeks ago, though they're in class. It's hard for rural school districts to consider online, because of the lack of high speed internet once you move outside the more populated metro areas.
Thank you as always! Most of the time my goal isn't to take the most dramatic or creative photos, but rather to better understand and control the lighting right for different types of portraits. Our conversations on key/fill lighting ratios were very helpful, and I love having that level of control over the shadows. Not much I can do about the kick plate on the outdoor photo, I got about 20s of his time and I got what I got!

Hopefully Lil'bit is enjoying pre-K and staying safe.

How can you NOT love these shots? Such a cute kid. As a (former) high school teacher, a gentle reminder to all, teaching is a lot of work, and now with online learning, even more difficult, so please be patient and appreciate the job your child's teacher has to do. It is a struggle daily.

Cordially,

Mark

After 8 long months, he is able to attend school in-person. While I didn't bother with a new school portrait, I still wanted to capture the memory of his real first day; nothing extraordinary from a technical standpoint, just a special family memory. I would have liked a better catchlight in the eyes, but it was pretty overcast and about to rain, so I am happy with what I got. Not pictured: mask that matched his outfit. Also, new camera and lens.

Nikon Z6II with 85mm f/1.8
85mm, f/4, 1/400s, ISO 400

20210413-DSC_2182a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

Take all the pictures you can. They grow up way to fast!

Is that cam good for a beginner?
I suppose a beginner would have no problem using it, but for what it sells for, it’s certainly not at an entry level price point. That being said, my experiences with it have been fantastic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back