Back up camera

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I current shoot with a Nikon D810 and my old D700 has finally given up the ghost. The mirror sticks open after every shot.

I feel queasy without a second body.

Do I repair the old workhorse (second time this problem has occurred)
Get a D750 as a back up (most unlikely solution) and use my current lenses.
Or run a parallel system say a Fuji X series.
I'm thinking the XE2 with the 18-55 and 56mm would be just perfect for what I do. With the added advantage of being the perfect vacation camera.

That's the worst option if having a backup camera is your main concern.

What are you shooting professionally? If it's weddings or similar, your best option is another Nikon FX body. The very best option is another D810, but I guess it's not really possible budget-wise…

I agree. I have Nikon and Olympus. It gets expensive and inconvenient running 2 systems.

How much is the d700 repair? I've seen good used d700s here for about 800 Euro which is less than 1000 dollars

Professional portrait/headshot photographer. My GF has a D810 too and she shoots professionally. Normally we'd borrow each other's camera as backup but lately she's been away a lot on assignments meaning it'd be safer to get my backup.
Repair cost is about USD 400.

If it was me I'd pay 400 euro for a repair to the d700, which in theory should then be good for 150,000 more shots

I current shoot with a Nikon D810 and my old D700 has finally given up the ghost. The mirror sticks open after every shot.

I feel queasy without a second body.

Do I repair the old workhorse (second time this problem has occurred)
Get a D750 as a back up (most unlikely solution) and use my current lenses.
I'm thinking the XE2 with the 18-55 and 56mm would be just perfect for what I do. With the added advantage of being the perfect vacation camera.

You can pickup a used D610 or D800 pretty at some pretty reasonable prices for full frame, I'd probably look at a used D800 if I were you. Your backup would have a very familiar layout, use all the same lenses, etc. Just a thought.

I think it all depends on your circumstances, budget and on what you really want. If you want not just a backup, but a breath of fresh air and fun, FUJI will not disappoint. If it is just a backup camera for work then repairing D700 or a used D610 probably makes more sense.

I think it all depends on your circumstances, budget and on what you really want. If you want not just a backup, but a breath of fresh air and fun, FUJI will not disappoint. If it is just a backup camera for work then repairing D700 or a used D610 probably makes more sense.
That's exactly it. Repairing the D700 will provide a safety net minus the fun. A Fuji system would allow me to travel lighter on some assignments.

For back up ?
Whats wrong with getting a D610 ?
If you are considering Fuji X then why not Nikon D5500 ?
Awesome small camera and you can use all your G lenses on it

I like the ergonomics of Fuji X series. I've never warmed up to the Nikon consumer range. I shoot in manual mode 75% of the time and I like being able to switch quickly. A second Nikon body will just languish in the backup compartment of my case.

So D700 repair for economical reasons
Or parallel Fuji X system for a breath of fresh air.

A good friend of mine took on the XE2 as her back up to a Canon system. 3 months later she ditched Canon and got an XT1 to complement her Fuji system. Her work has improved considerably with the new system. There's a certain spontaneous liveliness to it now.

In a money is no object world i would get a second D810 which incidentally is the finest camera i have ever used. And run a parallel Fuji x system. That 56mm f/1.2 is droolsome.

I shoot with D800, D750, D600. It depends on the kind of work that you do, the D600 has the worse low light focus of the 3. Out of the 3, it is my truly backup camera because I rarely ever use it. I've shot both my D800 and D750 in pouring rain without rain cover and they both work like a charm. I'd go with the D750 as the option because I see it as a long term business investment.

the problem with the D750 is that it costs more than repairing a D700 and serves only as a backup on shoots where my GF is on assignment and I can't use her D810 too. My most likely course of action would be to get an XE-2 and the 56mm f/1.2 and use that in tandem with a D810. It'll be a backup and a fun way to shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back