Back Yard Weeds

Skedaddle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are a four shots I took today of a couple weeds in the yard. I am unsure about what the pink spikey one is but the second one is a Purple Horsemint. Let me know what you think of them.

(1) I like how the flower stands out against the blue but I think the stem may be too dark.
EXIF
Exposure Time - 1/1250 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/1244 sec
F-Stop - f/3.50
Aperture Value - f/3.50
Focal Length - 6.0 mm

3571259480_782d975539.jpg

(2) Same as the first one but I also like how the foliage and sky slope in the background.
EXIF
F-Stop - f/3.50
Aperture Value - f/3.50
Focal Length - 6.0 mm

3570459115_73262f2e38.jpg

(3) This is my favorite out of all of them. I like how the pink stands out from the green background but does the white spot in the upper right hand corner detract from the flower?
EXIF
F-Stop - f/3.50
Aperture Value - f/3.50
Focal Length - 6.0 mm

3570449129_d22018ecff.jpg

(4) I like how the flower petals stand out from the foliage but I feel that the rest of the plant is hidden with the rest of the greenery.
EXIF
F-Stop - f/3.50
Aperture Value - f/3.50
Focal Length - 6.0 mm

3570449591_36c846141c.jpg

Nice shots! I was wondering how the heck you were getting 6mm of focal length and then I saw you're still shooting with your P&S. I like the first one the best, the last two are little busy in texture for me, and I don't care much for the framing of the second. The colors you have going on are great though. You're going to be dangerous with your new camera! I look forward to seeing the results with it.

I wouldn't worry about the dark stem either, you need something to balance all of the light colors you have going on. It's a great shot though!

I love the first one too. Even more impressive that you got that with a P&S.

I see what you're saying Sherman. I can see that if the stem was as bright as the rest of the green, the overall photo would be too bright.

Thank you NateS. :)

Anyone else?

Last edited:
The first two are amazing! I love the blue, blue sky. It really makes the purple stand out. Beautiful. I prefer the first two images to the second two. I just love that sky with the clouds. I agree with Sherman Banks about the dark stem. It helps bring some balance to the photo. I like how you've experimented with your horizon line and with switching the camera from vertical to horizontal. Often times I will see an image in only one way and when I get home and look at it on the computer, I kick myself for not trying the shot in another way. I like the horizon on pic #1 a little better than the slanted line on pic #2, but they really are both nice.

Pic #3 is nice too, but is a bit more boring without that blue sky (IMO)
Pic #4 is just a little too busy and I don't care as much for the harsh lights and shadows.

Nice work.. gotta love that p & s for 6.0mm pics :)

#1 - I think this shot is the best of the bunch. The image is a little dull on my calibrated monitor though. A touch more brightness and saturation?

#2 - Too centered. The diagonal in the background does help to make it a little less boring though.

#3 - This shot isn't doing anything for me.

#4 - The busy background is making it hard to pick out the main subject.

Thank you. :) I took the first two because I wanted to see which way would look better, horizontal or vertical. I also agree about the last photo being to busy. Maybe it would have looked better if the background had been blurred more or if I had it as half sky and half grass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back