Backing Up Photos

EhJsNe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Id like to back up all my photos and I was wondering whats the best way (And not to expensive) to backup my photos....

I was thinking about an external harddrive...but after the memory card issues Ive had (The card deleted all my pictures....) I didnt want to get a bad brand..and end up wasting a good chunk of money and have to put ALL the pictures back on the hard drive.....

My dad suggested I use Cds, and I was wondering if anyone uses them to back up ALL of there photos (Im not to crazy about this idea...Id have to sort through a bunch of CD's to find what I was looking for....)

Anyone use something different? (Those are the only two I could think of......Im sure theres a bunch more thatll make me go "Doh! Why didnt I think of that?!" BUt I cant think of them....) And how does it work for you?
Anyone use what I think I should use? If so, hows it working for you? And what brand do you use?

My dad suggested I use Cds, and I was wondering if anyone uses them to back up ALL of there photos (Im not to crazy about this idea...Id have to sort through a bunch of CD's to find what I was looking for....)

I use DVDs. Finding what you're looking for isn't so hard if you organize it. I just label mine with the file number and date of the first and last photo on the disk. Usually winds up being 6-8 months per disk, sometimes less. I think on one disk I could only fit one month, lol - did a lot of shooting then.

As long as you have a general idea when you shot the picture you're looking for, it's pretty easy to find.

Burnable discs reportedly degrade over time (DVD, CD, Blu-Ray), and if you shoot lots, you'll need lots of discs. For example, my photo collection would now require 50 single layer DVDs to back up.

What i'm doing for now is three copies. I'd like a copy off-site too, but I haven't sorted that out. The main copy lives on my desktop. The second copy lives on the external hard drive attached to my desktop and is kept there automatically by Time Machine. The third copy is on my NAS and is manually updated every time I copy photos off a memory card.

I'm probably going to pick up a 500GB 2.5" hard drive to keep a 4th copy on that I can leave at work, updating it about once a week.

external drive storage is cheap these days, it is also faster than cd/dvd's.

I have 4 external drives and one off site and have gotten rid of cd/dvd's.

Backup is a bore, but important, to say the least.

I don't keep any images on my computer hard drive, unless it is something i am working on.

I have two external hard drives that I back up to monthly, and I will burn DVD's roughly every 6 months.

I have two external hard drives that I back up to monthly, and I will burn DVD's roughly every 6 months.

The Mac's "Time Machine" is excellent. With no manual intervention on my part, it automatically maintains backups on an external drive. I don't even know it's happening unless I happen to hear the sound of disk activity. In the event of a problem involving lost data, I can recreate any data that I wish from any period of:

* Each hour for the past 24 hours.
* Each day for the past 7 days.
* Each week for the past 4 weeks.
* Each month for the past whatever quantity of months it takes to fill up the backup drive.

i use an external hdd drive to backup all and i sync it with the free Microsoft Toy Sync software.

My personal photos are backed up on another computer and two other external harddrives.
Work related, I backup on CD/DVDs in 2 copies and store in two different locations.

My OS and main files are on 2 drives in a raid array (saves the time of reloading programs and files if a drive fails), I have a 3rd internal drive for daily automated backup, can't remember the program I use and not at home right now, but it works well and was free on tucows. I might look into some of the online backup services just in case the unthinkable happens (ie: fire or hurricane destroying the house).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back