Backup camera VS 85mm VS Flash equipment

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, It looks like my Sony kit sold, so its decision time.

With selling the sony, I am without a backup camera other than my cell phone. For those who have followed my Jekyll and Hyde postings on going pro- I have yet again come to the conclusion that this is not the right season in my life to start such a venture, so I am conflicted about how important a backup camera really is in my life. If I go that route, I am leaning towards the d7100.

That leaves the 85mm 1.4 D I've settled on, or some new flash equipment and modifiers to get my speed lights off camera outdoors with ease. Some brackets, weights and studier stands.....and I've been curiously eyeing the Magmod system of modifiers.

My current setup: Nikon DF, 28-105, 70-300, 150mm macro, 50mm 1.8. A couple cheep speed lights, and 2 indoor strobes with modifiers, radio triggers. I suppose, I really do already have a great kit- so everything else is just a bonus.

Eventually of corse, I will collect it all- but for now I am wondering which route will provide the most growth and of coarse, receive the most use.

Your thoughts to reflect on would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jazzie

Last edited:
I vote D7200! With holidays now I think you can get one for about $800 or less refurbished. The D7200 has some advantages over the D7100. Newer sensor design, new processor, higher ISO capabilities, better AF module, better low light AF sensivity, larger buffer (3x in raw, 2x better jpeg), and better battery life.

If you alreay have a couple speedlights and wireless triggers that's pretty good. Unless you don't trust their longevity.

The lens is the hard one. The 85 f/1.4 is a very good lens. But you already have 3 portrait "length" lenses. For me I would go for the back up body. And the body would be the lower cost item for now.

But, I like to have spares. It's just the way I am. I don't trade / sell equipment very often when upgrading. I keep the older for spares just in case. There are exceptoins, like my medium format equipment. I sold off everything (except the stuff I forgot). And I am actually kicking myself for doing that now. I wish I had kept some of it. I did sell my Canon gear, and a couple Nikon lenses that I felt might fail in the future (AF-s lens that was squeeking entire focus range).

Lighting and learning off camera stuff will give much more improvements to your photography than any single lens.

If your pro, especially weddings you will probably need a backup. Unless you have a specific need for different apparent focal lengths etc I'd be inclined to but a second hand fullframe over any crop, they'll just be more natural to work with and better in low light, just an opinion

So-called backup first, light second, lens last

I vote D7200! With holidays now I think you can get one for about $800 or less refurbished. The D7200 has some advantages over the D7100. Newer sensor design, new processor, higher ISO capabilities, better AF module, better low light AF sensivity, larger buffer (3x in raw, 2x better jpeg), and better battery life.

If you alreay have a couple speedlights and wireless triggers that's pretty good. Unless you don't trust their longevity.

The lens is the hard one. The 85 f/1.4 is a very good lens. But you already have 3 portrait "length" lenses. For me I would go for the back up body. And the body would be the lower cost item for now.

But, I like to have spares. It's just the way I am. I don't trade / sell equipment very often when upgrading. I keep the older for spares just in case. There are exceptoins, like my medium format equipment. I sold off everything (except the stuff I forgot). And I am actually kicking myself for doing that now. I wish I had kept some of it. I did sell my Canon gear, and a couple Nikon lenses that I felt might fail in the future (AF-s lens that was squeeking entire focus range).
Thank you for your thoughts!

I'm sure the d7200 is superior, but for a back up body, I'm not convinced its worth it. Theres a decent 7100 on craigslist right now for $400, and its still a great camera! But I will definitely do more thorough research before I pull the trigger on a new body. Spares are certainly nice! And I have been talking about wanting something less expensive than my DF that I can use and abuse and not worry about banging up when the family goes off roading and whatnot. The DF is my baby, and I would hate to get her dusty. LOL.

As for the lens, I don't love the 50mm and the 150mm is too long for in the house. The 85mm would be perfect for at home and using on the kiddos- I need a fast lens for in the house and the other ones don't make the cut there. I was also hoping it would be easier to use than my 150mm- being lighter and a native mount, and not need such a high shutter speed to avoid lens shake. ( my mind is blanking on the technical term for that) For instance, for self portraits, the 150mm wont auto focus in live view or when hooked up to the radio trigger.

Lighting and learning off camera stuff will give much more improvements to your photography than any single lens.

If your pro, especially weddings you will probably need a backup. Unless you have a specific need for different apparent focal lengths etc I'd be inclined to but a second hand fullframe over any crop, they'll just be more natural to work with and better in low light, just an opinion

So-called backup first, light second, lens last

Thank you!

I am looking at an ASPC back up since the boys are getting into sports and I think the reach would be nice! I'd also like the reach for some macro shots. I love my full frame, and it shines in low light of coarse, but under "regular" conditions, I failed to see a massive difference when I did testing between my DF and my Nex7. I see more value in having one of each for their individual benefits.

Light is definitely the most creative element, and probably the most valuable. I am just wondering if I have enough already, or if more will truly be of benefit..

Thanks for your input and listing the order of importance! I appreciate your time. :)

Ah, if your ok with buying used all the better. Many don't like buying electronics used. I don't mind used camera's, lenses, or flashes. I still have / use one of my D300's on occasions, and the D7100 output wise is much better than it. And of course when D300's were our main cameras. They were just fine for us. Just becasue something better is out, doesn't mean the older stuff is automatically bad.

After another member posted links to some of his videos, I thought it might be o.k. with a mild warning; The Angry Photographer often swears out some really nasty swear words, so use caution when watching, and do not watch with children in the room.

Food for thought:

One year ago I bought a (new) D7100, and I am quite happy with it. Since then, I have decided that my main interest lies in portraiture, so I might have done better for myself with a lightly used D700.

Anyway, you might get a D700 which would likely become your primary camera.

After another member posted links to some of his videos, I thought it might be o.k. with a mild warning; The Angry Photographer often swears out some really nasty swear words, so use caution when watching, and do not watch with children in the room.

Food for thought:

One year ago I bought a (new) D7100, and I am quite happy with it. Since then, I have decided that my main interest lies in portraiture, so I might have done better for myself with a lightly used D700.

Anyway, you might get a D700 which would likely become your primary camera.

I am teaching at the moment, so I will have to watch those videos later. Thanks for the warning!

I highly doubt anything else would become my primary camera. I have really tiny hands, and the DF fits them perfectly....I would get another DF as a backup if I could afford it! :giggle: I will go ahead and take a peek at the d700 though, I appreciate your chiming in!

I will go ahead and take a peek at the d700 though, I appreciate your chiming in!
The D700, as a professional-grade camera, is unfortunately big and heavy, but it excels at portraiture. I have it listed as one of my long-term wish-list items. :biggrin-93:

I will go ahead and take a peek at the d700 though, I appreciate your chiming in!
The D700, as a professional-grade camera, is unfortunately big and heavy, but it excels at portraiture. I have it listed as one of my long-term wish-list items. :biggrin-93:

D700 is a bigger body than the D7100 (about 1/2" taller and wider). The larger size may not feel good to her.

D700 is a bigger body than the D7100 (about 1/2" taller and wider). The larger size may not feel good to her.
Indeed! the d7100 is already pushing it size wise. To use back button focus on the 7100, I have to completely take my front fingers off of the grip for my thumb to reach onto the back button and support the camera with my other hand. I definitely can't go any larger than that.

Indeed! the d7100 is already pushing it size wise. To use back button focus on the 7100, I have to completely take my front fingers off of the grip for my thumb to reach onto the back button and support the camera with my other hand. I definitely can't go any larger than that.
Not sure if it's more comfortable for you or not. But the DOF and Fn buttons can be assigned to AF-on (same as back button). Probably can't do Fn and shutter. But might be able to do DOF and shutter button?

Not sure if it's more comfortable for you or not. But the DOF and Fn buttons can be assigned to AF-on (same as back button). Probably can't do Fn and shutter. But might be able to do DOF and shutter button?
Oh! That is interesting! If I go with a new body I will definitely need to toy with that idea. Thank you for the tip!

You'll find your Nikon Df FX sensor camera blows away the D700.
It's like when I was comparing the D700 to the D600. There's many threads about the D700 / D600 / Df in our forum.

I've been debating between the D7100 and D7200 for some various things. The specific difference between the two is the remote wireless shutter ability with the D7200.

The D7200 is always going to be a little better at everything, of course, at a little bit more $$$.

For sports, I've found the newest FX 70-300 lens to be really good (in testing - I have yet to buy it) and it fills in the short and long focal lengths. I love DX with my 80-200 except the 80 is 120 FOV and the 200 was 300FOV. I've found on a football field that 70-300 is the sweet spot on a FX, and 24-85 on a DX to get both near and far shots using lower cost lenses.

I also love the 85mm/1.4 AF-D. The background OOF is just creamy. I haven't used it lately as I haven't done any portraiture in a while but @Derrel can tell you all about it.

Lens-wise, I would maybe consider the 70-200mm f/4 AF-S VR-G Nikkor zoom lens, used, for say $795 or so without the tripod collar, to as much as $950 used, with the tripod collar. That way you get a pro-grade lens optically, smaller than the f/2.8 Nikkors of various models, lighter, more compact, easier to handle, lighter, less costly too for a same-era lens.

I dunno...I think I would consider adding some more studio strobe stuff, like a 3- or 4-piece honeycomb grid set and barn doors set, if you so not already own those things, and a third and fourth light: IDENTICAL lights as your other studio flash units...I like "identical" lights because they use the same accessories, and have the same power and beam spread when used with the same accessories, and it is easier to adjust them in terms of ratios, if they are "the same lights"...I have six M-11 units, and six 102 flash units for my two flash systems...when each flash is "the same type" it's just easier to do a WYSIWYG multi-light setup.

You are already doing VERY nice lighting with your big scrim/shower curtain setup, as well as your big reflector board setup, and I think it's time for you to experiment with what having two extra lights can do: rim-light, separation light, background light,etc.,etc.. I'm not a fan of mixing speedlights with studio flash units due, for three reasons (not gonna explain here). I'd personally add two more monolights, the grid set, gel holder set, diffuser holder set,barn doors, maybe a nice boom stand (really helpful), and some grip stuff: clamps, arms, C-stand or two, etc.

For you? I think it might be a great time to allocate your next $800-$1,000 on lighting and grip gear, stuff that will be good for 10-20 years. I really think you're at the stage where your lighting is good...but more stuff,more options, a few little lighting refinements and 'wrinkles' could easily elevate it to great.

If you don't know what to buy, then don't buy anything! If you're not going to take on paid work, then you don't really need a second body, especially since your primary is such a nice piece of kit. You already have lighting gear, so do you need any more? Doesn't sound like it, really... you've got a fair range of glass.... Put the money from your sold gear in the bank and wait 'til you find a genuine NEED. Then you will KNOW what to buy.

Most reactions

Back