Bald Eagle Chasing Osprey

C4talyst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I caught this earlier today with my D3100 and 55-200mm lens. I had the camera's Focus Point set to Single-point AF, as I usually track the birds and keep the little focus dot on them. In this case the eagle dropped down from being concealed in a tree and immediately chased the osprey. I was lucky to get this one shot, and the damn focus point was right between them. Would Dynamic Area or Auto Area have been better here to hopefully catch both birds in better focus?

$eagle_chase.jpg

You need to use AF-C with birds, especially when they are in flight. Single-point autofocus focuses one time and one time only. If the subject moves then the focus is off unless you have enough depth of field to keep it in focus. AF-C will refocus continually to keep the subject in focus.

I really like the panning motion of the trees in the background. The birds appear pretty well-focused I think, but it's hard to tell at this small size, but looking at the osprey, I can see each individual feather's outline, so I'd suspect the focus is pretty well "on" for that bird. It's still a cool shot. it has "feeling", whereas a lot of bird shots are static, feeling-free, and well,kinda' dull. This shot has "action", "conflict", and shows "movement".

Thanks guys; Craig, I was using AF-C for Auto Focus, but my question was more about the Focus Points setting. I had it set to a single focus point, and usually try to track the bird on that dot. In this case they dropped out of nowhere and I was lucky to even get the shot off, but am wondering if Auto Area or Dynamic Area may be better Focus Point settings for birds.

Derrel, I noticed the osprey was in better focus than the eagle...not sure why.

This image sort of looks like an oil painting. Which is pretty cool lol

Thanks guys; Craig, I was using AF-C for Auto Focus, but my question was more about the Focus Points setting. I had it set to a single focus point, and usually try to track the bird on that dot. In this case they dropped out of nowhere and I was lucky to even get the shot off, but am wondering if Auto Area or Dynamic Area may be better Focus Point settings for birds.

Derrel, I noticed the osprey was in better focus than the eagle...not sure why.
I only use single-point AF when shooting birds. I tried using that dynamic 3D bouncing focus point thingy a couple of times and it was an utter waste as far as I'm concerned. Some people may be able to make it work but I couldn't so I don't try any more.

I like it. The lack of sharpness and detail imparts the explosive speed and intensity of birds of prey in attack.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back