How is exposure metering done?

tuanbusku

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
juicerszones.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is Major League Baseball turning to the blue lights to provide the homer-hungry client a blue suit?
juicerszones.com

The listing 6,105 homers hit during the 2017 regular season represented a more than seven per cent increase over the prior high of 5,693, place at the Steroids Era period of 2000.

And the 2017 postseason featured much more longballs per match (2.74) compared to regular period (2.51). Game 2 of the World Series between the Houston Astros and the Los Angeles Dodgers produced a list eight homers--more than the prior mark--and Game 5 was right behind with seven. A listing 104 home runs were hit in the postseason, topping the old high of 100, place in 2004.

Drug-testing policies apparently have squeezed the juicers from the match. Still, the boom may come at least partially in the arguably livelier ball along with the tendency, over the last 20-some decades, toward smaller ballparks. Next, factor in MLB's debut in 2015 of Statcast[TM] technology. It features measurements like Launch Angle and Exit Velocity, which invite batters to accept strikeouts and swing for the fences. Last but not least, think about the contemporary emphasis on electricity pitching, and perhaps the results aren't really so surprising.
click here medium.com

"They're hitting .212 with 28 homers," Atlanta Braves pitcher Julio Teheran stated late last year, sizing up the batters of today. "They do not care about striking out. Teheran won't get an argument from Hall of Famer Tony Perez. "They only need to hit home runs," the former Cincinnati Reds star told the Associated Press. "I figure that pays better." Perez finished his career with 379 home runs--but just once hit as many as 40 in a year. Along with his career batting average was a rather respectable .279.

It's debatable whether the motivation of the players could be summed up as just as Perez put it. However, strikeouts have increased every year since 2008--rising by 22 percent during that 10-year span. The record 40,104 Ks last year represented an average of 16.5 per game--or more than eight per group. Really, the 50-homer season hasn't returned with no cost.

Recall that cool breeze you felt during the 2017 postseason? It was New York Yankees rookie Aaron Judge striking out a record 27 times in 13 games--only to have fellow rookie Cody Bellinger of the Dodgers transcend him with 29 Ks in 15 games. Bellinger struck out a World Series-record 17 times from the Dodgers' seven-game reduction to the Astros. Prior to Judge and Bellinger went into the airconditioning business, Alfonso Soriano's strikeout record of 26--set in 17 postseason games with the 2003 Yankees--had stood for 13 years.
best masticating juicer click here to view

Under the glare of the postseason spotlight, both Judge and Bellinger struck out more frequently than they had during the regular season. In the postseason, Judge fanned every 1.8 at-bats, compared to once every 2.6 during the regular season. Bellinger struck out once every 2.2 at-bats in the postseason after whiffing after every 3.3 at-bats in the regular season.

"I was only overaggressive," said Bellinger, that became the first player in history to endure two four-strikeout games in the World Series. "I did not make adjustments." Judge and Bellinger do, but have significant upsides, particularly in this age of upward, home-run-happy swings.
Strange-business-how-kitchen-equipment-is-sold.jpg

During the regular season, the 25-year-old Judge set a major-league rookie record for homers, hitting 52 to lead all of American League hitters. Meanwhile, Bellinger, at age 22, clubbed 39 homers, a National League rookie record and second in the league in 2017 to Giancarlo Stanton's 59. Bellinger also played Gold Glove-caliber defense at first base.

Moreover, Bellinger was not called up to the majors until April 25 and totaled only 480 big-league at-bats. Given a full season in 2018, he is likely another candidate to decode the 50-homer club.

Hank Aaron long has maintained that the modern player has too much single-minded, go-for-the-fences focus. Aaron, of course, hit 755 career homers to break Babe Ruth's record of 714 (then watched Barry Bonds, amid allegations of steroid use, leading them equally with 762).

Although Aaron played in hitter-friendly ballparks in Milwaukee and Atlanta, he never hit 50 homers in year. Aaron's hallmark was consistency. He hit 40 or more homers eight times, topping out at 47, and finished with a lifetime batting average of .305.

"I don't think they understand the part of what they will need to be doing," Aaron has stated. "I'm not saying all of them, but I think some players need to know they are never going to hit 50 home runs or 45 home runs. They have got to understand how to hit the ball to the opposite field and do the little things to help their ballclub win championships."

Last edited:
If you're asking about the aperture, it will remain fully open and only closes when the exposure process starts. Just before the shutter starts to open, the aperture will be closed to the setting chosen.

I understand that the exposure reading should go down when the aperture opening size is reduced, keeping other parameters fixed. But when I can't observe that through my view finder, how does the exposure meter do? I understand that the aperture will take its size only just before the shutter opens. It is little confusing for me. Pl. help. Thanks.

The exposure meter is ultimately and electrical/electronic device -- runs on a battery. So it only needs to know where the aperture is set to close at exposure and how much that will reduce the light passing through the lens wide open -- during active metering. Electrical resistance can then take care of adjusting the reading.

Joe

The exposure meter does not calculate anything with the aperture stopped down. It calculates what the aperture should be for the shot with the aperture fully open based on the other factors of shutter speed, ISO, exposure offset (ie. +1.+2 +3 or -1, -2 etc.), and what the camera's meter sensor is reading from the lens view (spot, center weighted, etc). Then, based on that calculation, the camera sends a signal to the aperture to close down to what the camera just calculated. The meter doesn't look at what the camera shot at the time when the aperture close.

You have to check if the exposure is "correct". The meter isn't that "smart". :)

How the meter knows what aperture is set depends on the camera/lens.
  • In the old day, there was a mechanical coupling between the lens and camera. So when you turned the aperture ring on the lens, a matching arm on a ring resistor would tell the meter what the aperture ring was set to.
  • Today with electronic aperture, the aperture control is in the camera, and the camera tells the lens what aperture to shut down to. This is the reverse of the above. And the meter reads what the camera has set as the aperture.
All this is done with the aperture 'wide open.'

This is the simple manual exposure explanation.
As Alan has mentioned, when you get into any of the auto modes (Auto, P, A, S) and other exposure controls, things get more complicated. Like "fly by wire" you are telling the cameras computer in general what to do, and the cameras computer is doing the actual controlling of the camera.

I second the statement:
You have to check if the exposure is "correct". The meter isn't that "smart". :)
And you have to know how to correct it.

I was thinking the same this morning about the Meter on the camera. You all answered my question too,

Have a camera with a Depth Of Field Preview button. Set your aperture, press the DOFP button while looking through the viewfinder, and see how dark, or light, and sharply focused, the image is. Adjust settings if need be.

A lot has been said. However, I would study the sunny 16 method so you can learn how to read light. It really helps to have a basic understanding of exposure. I've been shooting a Nikon F for a while and it doesn't have a meter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back