LaFoto, THANK YOU for the crticism. That is exactly what I've been looking for. I can't improve if no one tells me what I have done wrong. I'm shooting with a D40 and the kit 18-55 lens. I actually DID use the flash for these photos, but with a twist. I held a piece of tissue folded double to the flash to diffuse the light some. I started off shooting with no flash but the pictures were coming out soft (I dont yet have a tripod). So then I started to use fill flash but the lighting was much too harsh and I didn't quite get the effect I wanted. Thats when I decided to use the tissue paper, so it's cool that the effect produced was good enough to fool you, I was going for a natural look. There was natural light coming in from the window across the room (early morning sun) but not directly hitting the mobile. And I agree with you about the DOF, I was using program mode and using a wide open aperture to render the background figures blurry. I actually was trying to focus on the faces, but between standing on tip toes to photograph the mobile, and using one hand to hold the tissue paper, I must have been swaying front to back enough to move the very shallow DOF. Sorry if this has gotten long but THANK YOU again!