Bare bones starter kit

bahandi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Like most hobbies, we all need bare bones equipment to get into the hobby.

I suppose in photography, all we need is our camera and lenses. Where do I focus next? I am under the impression that lenses, flash, tripod, body made a good rough sketch of how I should prioritize my purchases.

Agree/disagree? What's your take?

I think, for sure, I'll be getting a 50mm 1.8. If things work out, though I'm a little doubtful, I may end up with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 as well. A telephoto is something I'm considering too, but I may just settle for those two lenses at the moment.

Would it then make sense to follow through with the order I stated above?

Your mobile phone can take good pics...if you wont enlarge them...

i started a cellphone group
to train composition

ipernity: Group Cell phone or Mobile

6274892.672157fd.560.jpg

If you're prioritizing, I'd tell you to get at the least a tripod and a decent bag to carry your gear right now.

The toss up seems to be between a flash and a tripod, after the bag. I'm getting a flash first, until I learn more about good tripods + brands. Same with lenses.. hopefully I can take decent portraits with the kit lens, for now.

Not having, and consistantly using, a good, rock steady tripod is one of the common mistakes made by amateur photographers.

If you buy a good DSLR and quality lenses don't expect to get tack sharp, pro looking images using amateur camera handeling/holding techniques.

Using a good, rock steady tripod is one of the main keys to tack sharp images. In high end photography studios they use a camera stand, which is even more robust and steady than a tripod.

If an image isn't sharply focused it isn't as appealling, period.

You only need to buy a good tripod and quality lenses once every 30 years or so. Camera bodies and flash units are consumable items and will get replaced periodically. Spend the majority of your photography dollars on a good, rock steady tripod and quality glass.

Hey Keith; thanks for the info. How much would one expect to spend on a quality tripod, $200 to $300?

The reason I prioritize a flash over a tripod (for now) is because lately I've been doing a lot of running around and shooting. I just haven't had the time to set up a tripod. I know I'll need one eventually, but even in sports shooting, I'm running around the field/court too much to make one useful.. Am I doing something wrong?

And btw, I don't know if it went through on your blog, but I left you a thank you comment for all your blog posts. I read all of your posts straight through the other night, and they helped A LOT! So thank you for your hard work there, very appreciated.

If you're shooting strictly sports then no I don't think a tripod is as much of a necessity if you're constantly moving. A monopod would be a much better choice as it gives some stability but still allows you to tilt and pan the lens.

Expect to spend at minimum 100-200 on a good tripod without a head. Heads have a huge price range, your wallet is the limit with those.

I would get the tripod before the flash...

However - what kind of photos do you think you're going to spend most of the time taking?

Hey Keith; thanks for the info. How much would one expect to spend on a quality tripod, $200 to $300?

The reason I prioritize a flash over a tripod (for now) is because lately I've been doing a lot of running around and shooting. I just haven't had the time to set up a tripod. I know I'll need one eventually, but even in sports shooting, I'm running around the field/court too much to make one useful.. Am I doing something wrong?

And btw, I don't know if it went through on your blog, but I left you a thank you comment for all your blog posts. I read all of your posts straight through the other night, and they helped A LOT! So thank you for your hard work there, very appreciated.
I need to get back in there and keep the blog moving. I'm glad what little bit that's there helps.

Don't forget you can always hit the "Thanks button" on anyones reply you find helpful.

Go to www.giottos.com and look over their MT (aluminum) tripods and the various ways they can be set-up. You're looking for that kind of versitility.
A set of legs and a middle of the range head will be about $300. I prefer tilt pan heads myself but ball heads seem more popular.

I would also recommend looking at Benro tripods. Many also think highly of Manfrotto tripods but I think they are short on features for the price and have never like the look of them. ;)

Not having, and consistantly using, a good, rock steady tripod is one of the common mistakes made by amateur photographers.

If you buy a good DSLR and quality lenses don't expect to get tack sharp, pro looking images using amateur camera handeling/holding techniques.

Using a good, rock steady tripod is one of the main keys to tack sharp images. In high end photography studios they use a camera stand, which is even more robust and steady than a tripod.

If an image isn't sharply focused it isn't as appealling, period.

You only need to buy a good tripod and quality lenses once every 30 years or so. Camera bodies and flash units are consumable items and will get replaced periodically. Spend the majority of your photography dollars on a good, rock steady tripod and quality glass.

I've never looked at it through that perspective... hmm....

Though most of my pictures are taken indoors, I've always loved landscape and sunrise/sunsets. So maybe I need to get a wider lens and a tripod.

I need to get back in there and keep the blog moving. I'm glad what little bit that's there helps.

Don't forget you can always hit the "Thanks button" on anyones reply you find helpful.

Go to www.giottos.com and look over their MT (aluminum) tripods and the various ways they can be set-up. You're looking for that kind of versitility.
A set of legs and a middle of the range head will be about $300. I prefer tilt pan heads myself but ball heads seem more popular.

I would also recommend looking at Benro tripods. Many also think highly of Manfrotto tripods but I think they are short on features for the price and have never like the look of them. ;)

I think I "thanked" too many people last night, because my "Thank" button disappeared for a while, but it's back now! Seriously!

The Giottos look really nice. $300 is a little more than I'd want to pay for a tripod right now; But I know, you get what you pay for. I'm planning on getting a quality tripod system eventually; I actually would have had a use for one today, but improvised with a mini fridge and a sweater.

I would get the tripod before the flash...

However - what kind of photos do you think you're going to spend most of the time taking?

I'm mainly doing sports photography and moving portraits, usually don't have time to set up a tripod. I guess I'm still in the "learning" stage, and not too deep in the "set up and wait for the perfect shot" stage yet.

I also take a lot of candid "portraits" in less-than-ideal lighting. This is mainly why I prioritize a flash system over a tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back