Barred Owl and Heron catching lunch

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a really fun day at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge yesterday on Plum Island, MA. I went hoping to see the Snowy Owl that had been reported, but had no luck. It was fun spending about an hour watching this Great Blue Heron catching some fish for lunch, and seeing this Barred Owl made my day...it was so cooperative! Grabbed at least 50 frames.

barred.jpg
heron2.jpg
heron3.jpg
barred2.jpg

converted this photo to b+w with silver efex for the black and white challenge going around Facebook, thought it worked pretty well.

Thanks for having a look!

Nice set! I talked with a guy today that was up there last week looking for and finding the Barred Owl. Keep searching for that Snowy one day you'll turn a corner and it will be sitting right in front of you.

Nice set! I talked with a guy today that was up there last week looking for and finding the Barred Owl. Keep searching for that Snowy one day you'll turn a corner and it will be sitting right in front of you.

Thanks man! I'm just having so much fun with the wildlife stuff, which is pretty new to me, and Plum Island is like a photographers playground. I'll probably go back this weekend, it's about a 2 hour drive from me which isn't too bad.

Thanks man! I'm just having so much fun with the wildlife stuff, which is pretty new to me, and Plum Island is like a photographers playground. I'll probably go back this weekend, it's about a 2 hour drive from me which isn't too bad.

Ya you have to watch out once that "wildlife bug bites" all your free time and not so free time is taken up.

Thses are really nice shots.

Thanks to you both! This lens hasn't left my camera since I bought it haha. Such a change of pace from shooting landscapes, but I'm really enjoying the challenge

I just grabbed one of those lenses this morning, hope to see an owl or two with it tomorrow ;)

I just grabbed one of those lenses this morning, hope to see an owl or two with it tomorrow ;)

I'll probably end up back at Plum Island tomorrow. This barred owl is super cooperative and loves the camera! At one point it flew and perched so close I couldn't even focus

Very nice! The portrait oriented photos you posted are so large I have to scroll to see the whole thing. kinda defeats some of the goodness. IMHO

Pretty cool shots, I love that heron shot with the fish, and the black and white owl came out nicely as well.. Nice work! :)

Very nice set. Love the first owl shot. You don't often get Barred Owls in nice light.

I couldn't have asked for better. Perched maybe 20 feet away at eye level with the sun behind me.

Awesome shots.. I have had the pleasure of spotting a barred owl in the woods.. I grabbed some nice shots but there was a lot of foliage and tree branches around the owl...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back