Basic Concert Photography Etiquette?

AduNeButt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to a Modest Mouse concert later tonight and was wondering what was considered okay to shoot during a concert. I'm assuming no flash, but besides this is there anything else I should avoid? I don't want to disrupt the band in any way. Anyone that's shot a concert before maybe could help me out a bit. Thanks.

There could be a lot of factors here.

Firstly, is this concert in a private venue? If so, you will likely be under the rules of the house and/or the promotion company. To be allowed to take photographs, you may need to have a press pass issued to you.

For some concerts, there are specific rules as to when you can photograph. For example, you may only be allowed to shoot during the first three songs. I assume that this is because that is when the performers look their best and are still 'fresh'. They don't want a shot from the end of the night showing up on the front page of the paper etc.

Also I hear that whilst many places will let point and shoots in they won't let pro gear in (basically anything that looks like a DSLR/SLR). This is mostly as people have paid (the press etc...) to have the right to use that kit during the performance and the hosts want to defend that transaction - so that means the public can't use them

Also I hear that whilst many places will let point and shoots in they won't let pro gear in (basically anything that looks like a DSLR/SLR). This is mostly as people have paid (the press etc...) to have the right to use that kit during the performance and the hosts want to defend that transaction - so that means the public can't use them

i guess i understand that rule...but it's funny to think that there are a ton of P&S cams that would put my 6mp D40 to shame.

"you cant bring that pro equipment in here..."
"dude...it's 6.1 mp...that chicks coolpix is 12mp..."
"oh...ok then..":lol:

Most reactions

Back